Reading List for Grown Ups.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sally-Anne

Re: Reading List for Grown Ups.

Post by Sally-Anne »

Anything by Bill Bryson has to be a given, surely?
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Sally-Anne wrote:Anything by Bill Bryson has to be a given, surely?
Notes from a small island, laugh out loud! His description of leaving a restaurant a bit drunk with his legs flinging out in front of him like pieces of knotted string!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

A walk in the woods....My favourite

I absolutely love it when his bonkers friend gets payback on the annoying hikers they are sharing the bunkhouse with by stealing their hiking boot laces and leaving while they are sleeping, and when they spend the night in a bunk house full of mice and have insomniac competition of how many they can bash each. Oh and how his mate starts off with a huge rucksack and then dumps half his stuff on the first day...very poignant as dh did exactly that one year when we did a walking holiday....his rolled up spare jeans, jumper and converse high tops (I tried to tell him!) may still be under a big bolder somewhere in the middle of nowhere. :lol:
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Very few "celeb" biogs fit the bill, but Andre Agassi did better than most
Sally Anne, Andre Agassi's 'Open' is probably the best sporting biography ever written. Despite working in the business I'm not a big fan of most sporting biographies because they so seldom have anything interesting to say – not surprising when all the subject has done is play sport since they were 6. 'Open' is definitely an exception though.

I've just had a birthday so now have on my bookshelf an eclectic mix of:
Harlan Coben and Lee Child's latest thrillers
Nick Bollettieri's biography
a social psychology book called The Person and the Situation
Midnight Nation, a graphic novel which is one of the main inspiration behind the work of Neil Gaiman

Haven't decided what to read first, but probably the trash :lol:
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Great audio books for long car journeys too.

Currently reading Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Good to have an alternative view of Nigeria from that in the news.

Some great books here. Thanks all.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Feeling inspired I dug out my Nancy Astor biography for a good read last night but couldn't focus very well, gave up thinking I was tired.

Just woken up, eyes glued shut, pink eye in not one, but both eyes at the same time.....grrrrrr....kids! Son number three had a very mild dose on Monday, which vanished quickly, how cone I have got this....I can barely see to type, there is two of everything, from what I can see through the little slit I have left between puffy eye lids.

No reading for me...Will have to sit it out until the chemist is open and hope they will let me have some decent drops, not just off the counter stuff...it really aches... :cry: .
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

southbucks3 wrote:Feeling inspired I dug out my Nancy Astor biography for a good read last night but couldn't focus very well, gave up thinking I was tired.

Just woken up, eyes glued shut, pink eye in not one, but both eyes at the same time.....grrrrrr....kids! Son number three had a very mild dose on Monday, which vanished quickly, how cone I have got this....I can barely see to type, there is two of everything, from what I can see through the little slit I have left between puffy eye lids.

No reading for me...Will have to sit it out until the chemist is open and hope they will let me have some decent drops, not just off the counter stuff...it really aches... :cry: .
Did you get sorted SB? Sounds horrible. Do hope you took some painkillers in the meantime. Pesky conjunctivitis I assume? Do you know anyone going to America? They sell great drugs out there OTC that you can't buy here without a prescription or the third degree (and is the canestan for you madam? Says the 17 year old Saturday girl.... None of your ****** business!!
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

RedVelvet wrote:

Great audio books for long car journeys too.

Currently reading Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Good to have an alternative view of Nigeria from that in the news.

Some great books here. Thanks all.
Oooh is it good - I've read Half a Yellow Sun and Purple Hibiscus and loved them.

SB3 hope your eye feels better soon - conjunctivitis is horrid :( you should treat yourself to afternoon tea at Cliveden when your eyes better to read your Nancy Aster book in situ (I've never been in the house - the NT cafe is as far as my purse stretches)
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Ooh, Cliveden - love it! (That's my contribution to this thread :oops: .) Hope your eyes are better soon, SB.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

KS10 wrote:Ooh, Cliveden - love it! (That's my contribution to this thread :oops: .)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now