Prize book for 14-year-old

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tinkers

Re: Prize book for 14-year-old

Post by Tinkers »

Ally wrote:DS's school normally give book tokens and we find it difficult to find a suitable book. DS selected this after winning the Y8 science prize.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Science-Definit ... 68&sr=1-76" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's some other ideas
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Science-Year-Dk ... P3VQQGZN4V" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Elements-Vi ... 80H7YWANNS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If they are into chemistry 'The Elements' book is excellent. I bought myself a copy of it recently.
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

by Theodore Gray?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Yes Thedore Gray. Some lovely photos in there and quite informative too.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

Yup, that's the one I suggested first..! :lol:
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Why do you care about looking "respectable" at prize day? Isn't the achievement enough in itself without trying to impress people with your son's literary credentials? Why not let him choose his own prize since he's the one that actually earned it?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

14 year olds need guidance on the long term implications of a book for Prize day. This is a book to be cherished and kept with pride on the bookcase with the crest of the school and your name on it. The girl who chose a Justin Bieber biography was badly advised and will regret that choice in years to come. It is not just a book to read, it is a book to keep and it is certainly not about showing off on prize day, it is about having something worthwhile to keep as recognition of the achievement. Nobody would have been able to see what my dd's black hardback books were except the person presenting them to her. DG
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Daogroupie wrote:This is a book to be cherished and kept with pride on the bookcase with the crest of the school and your name on it.

Maybe for some people, not necessarily all.
The girl who chose a Justin Bieber biography was badly advised and will regret that choice in years to come.

Maybe she'll still think that's funny when she's forty. Maybe she'll have chucked it away long ago because coming top for History just wasn't that big a deal to her. Maybe we shouldn't judge other people quite so much!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Maybe if she was given some guidance she would have had the chance to make an informed decision. Always best to be aware of all the options available and then you can choose what you want to do from that data point. You don't tend to find many crested books in charity shops so it is likely that a high percentage of recipients do hang onto them. DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

At Primary all the books were chosen by the school; I have not given them (even the duplicate) to a charity shop!

At Secondary we chose our own from a selection at school; I still have them all.

In all the schools I've worked in the children chose their own and there is a wide variety. It is not an occasion for 'showing off' and trying to impress; it does the opposite to me! I would prefer to see something the child has chosen, even Justin Beiber, than a classic that will never be read.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Indeed but some students do read Classics so that would be of value to them. Nobody is suggesting Classics to the OP for their ds who is interested in Science. We are suggesting Science dictionaries that will be of long term interest to him. As you say for your dc's the secondary school made a selection and students had to choose from the selection so there was the adult advice creating a group of suitable books for them to select from. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now