Half day closing for year 6 open evening

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I spoke to a Mum today who has two kids at a Herts comp. They close for TWO WHOLE DAYS after open day to allow the teachers to "recover" or whatever.

Unbelievable!

Sally-Anne
katel

Post by katel »

My dd's school closes the afternoon before the open evening, but the girls are "expected" to come back in the evening to show off their school. I thing it's fair - I wouldn't want her at school from 8.30 am til 9.00pm! Can't see a problem - but I am one of those who give three cheers when schools are closed because of snow!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Yes it happens here, both the grammar schools girls and boys shut at lunchtime so that they can get ready for teh open evening.

The girls school also shuts at lunchtime on prize giving day, you only attend if you have been awarded a prize.

So work hard, get a prie stay all day at school. otherwise get an afternoon off!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

:oops:

sorry the Z key on my keyboard keeps sticking, must stop eating toast whilst typing!
Jill

Post by Jill »

Ah yes, just read post again, my apologies... :oops:
What a working day can do to the brain! :roll:
nomorefingernails

Post by nomorefingernails »

All the schools around here send the kids home early for open evenings not just the Grammar schools :)
Oh I'm in Kent by the way.

Post by Guest »

Ours is not closing and girls will be bringing a packed evening meal so that they can stay on and act as guides in the evening. So 12 hours in school for the volunteers (of whom there are usually a surfeit).

Post by Guest »

Beaconsfield High School (very definitely in Bucks!) has its open day on Wednesday. On that day lessons finish at 1.30 pm, (but students helping with activities will then stay in school helping set up demonstrations and activities.) On Thursday lessons start at 11.30 am.
gad

Post by gad »

Thanks all for your replies. Seems its not just Essex then! I'm not overly impressed with the schools closing, but agree with Sally-Anne that its a long day for the children if they're helping in the evening. My son was very excited about being a tour guide this evening, he's very proud of his school so should hopefully do a good job. Tomorrow he has a day off as the school is closed to recover :shock:

Post by Guest »

The tours for prospective parents/pupils at KEGS (Essex) take place during the day only (no evening tours). It's business as usual, so what you see is what you get!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now