Child Genius - New Channel 4 Programme 2014

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Snowdrops

Re: Child Genius - New Channel 4 Programme 2014

Post by Snowdrops »

Totally agree with everything you've said.

Although Jocelyn (home schooled girl) was upset with her first round performance, at the end of it she was a very happy bunny and said she'd do it again. It was her decision to enter it and her parents were there for her when she needed them and so totally laid back, it was nice to see.

Troy. Oh poor Troy. Parents, pushy, much? That boy is going to be so damaged if this keeps up.

I almost can't bare to watch the coming weeks, the stress on those poor children.
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Interesting about Jocelyn, I feel that all children have the right to a formal education, the division question was relatively straightforward and she just couldn't do it. Usually for home schooled children there are rigorous guidelines about what they need to be taught......
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

I don't think it was that Jocelyn couldn't do the maths, but the fact that she was a very little girl, put in that horrible stressful situation of standing at a desk in front of lots of people with tv cameras on her. I'm so glad she's left the competition and has gone back to her lovely life with her lovely parents! I haven't done any home schooling with my children but it can work fantastically well for some families.
kelwaypops

Post by kelwaypops »

i only saw a bit of it (dd made me watch..). the most (sadly) memorable thing for me was poor Tudor. Lovely little boy who looked so terribly sad, if not scared of his father. I think it is a form of abuse and if i were working for social services i would want to investigate.......
Amber

Post by Amber »

I can't comment on the programme as I don't really watch TV and have never seen it - but reading this makes me wonder about the issue of informed consent and whether the children are able to give it. I have been intimately acquainted with consent issues in medical scenarios both as parent and teacher for the hospital education service, and I do wonder to what extent young people whose parents decide to parade them as a spectacle for the nation can give consent which is free from their parents' obvious desires to put them on the telly.
Hera

Post by Hera »

kelwaypops wrote:i only saw a bit of it (dd made me watch..). the most (sadly) memorable thing for me was poor Tudor. Lovely little boy who looked so terribly sad, if not scared of his father. I think it is a form of abuse and if i were working for social services i would want to investigate.......
I switched off at the point Tudor's dad told poor Tudor that he would need to be disciplined as he had done so badly, had to work harder and that he probably wasn't as clever as they had all thought anyway. They totally ignored his sister who was also in the competition. He doesn't deserve to have kids, I agree it is child abuse. I felt I had to stop watching as by continuing to do so I was somehow complicet in the suffering of that child.
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

I watched the show with my dds- my favorite was the boy who is learning degree levels maths, but I liked channels fours original show which aired in 2007 and followed the children as they grew up. This competition seems pointless whilst being smart is a good thing there is so much more than being able to solve maths problems and have your memory tested.

I also don't like it when a certain child is asked if they are smarter than their parents and they answer yes. I think it was also in the previous series where one boy called his mother a slave.
Cup of tea

Post by Cup of tea »

Agree with sympathy for Tudor. What horrible parents! Loved Joceyln, although her little lip wobble was torture to watch. Our favourite was the University Maths boy, he was probably only one who showed signs of 'genius' (whatever that terms means!) and his parents seemed relatively normal.
Most kids have been hot-housed and don't get me started on poor Aaliyah and her idiotic psychologist parents.......... Also the little piano playing kid and his mother who wanted to 'brand' him....... Agree about the consent issue, wonder how many of these kids will resent their parents for giving them such a weird and wacky up-bringing and publishing it for all to see. Sorry, got to go and juice, dd needs her daily dose of 'brain food' :lol:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Of course he was called Tudor, where on earth did I get Troy from!

Oh well, that's me failed the memory round then :lol: :lol:
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

Sunshine 11 wrote:Usually for home schooled children there are rigorous guidelines about what they need to be taught......
Um, no, there are no guidelines or constraints for home educated children in this country.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now