101 uses for bamboo

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JamesDean

Re: 101 uses for bamboo

Post by JamesDean »

Tinkers wrote:I will just have far more if it than I know what to do with
Ebay? Freecycle? I'm always amazed at what people will take off your hands!

JD
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I've already emailed everyone local, including neighbours.
I've posted on local FB pages.
I may cut some down to more reasonable lengths and just leave it outside the house for people to take.

I've managed to get rid of two reasonably big bundles to neighbours, but I've bearly scratched the surface of the amount I have, probably about 10%.

A neighbour suggested the local horticultural society, so might wander over sometime and see if they want some. It's tall bamboo, so it's amusing to see it been carried around.

People pay good money for bamboo canes at garden centres, especially the really long stuff.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Cut into lengths with sharp ends and market as 11plus motivators to be used over a long hot summer by pushy parents on reluctant to work kids. Sell a longer version for kids to defend themselves with. :mrgreen:
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

How many do you want Steve?
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Tinkers wrote:How many do you want Steve?
Reckon we'll need a gross of each for Caversham, cem might be tutor proof but not poke with a sharp bamboo stick proof.

Any chance of a wholesale discount like I got last year on the Willow whips?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I was using a bamboo cane to cajole an escaped bunny from its unreachable location yesyerday, cheeky thing nibbled the end! I then lost my temper...having been stung and brambled and I snapped it in two on the ground....Dh had a big go as the top had been customised with wire and duck tape to collect ping pong bals from the Hawthorne hedge.
Finally got her out with use of dog on an extender lead.....genius. :lol:

Tinkers, have you got local allotments....We get gifts of manure, seedlings, sticks, net curtains, carpet for weed control etc, with messages saying please take and use...I am sure they would he appreciated.
Last edited by southbucks3 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

stevew61 wrote:
Tinkers wrote:How many do you want Steve?
Reckon we'll need a gross of each for Caversham, cem might be tutor proof but not poke with a sharp bamboo stick proof.

Any chance of a wholesale discount like I got last year on the Willow whips?
For you Steve, mates rates. As long as you pick them up you can have them for free.

The local horticultural society is at the local allotments.
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

Your comment about a panda may not be that silly. Our local zoo actually requests bamboo from people as they go through tons a day and I believe that they collect from people's homes. If you have a zoo anywhere near you, they may be interested. I'm definite that our local zoo doesn't actually have a 'full blown' panda as it tends to be the smaller animals there, but I know something they have eats the stuff, maybe a red panda, as these are becoming popular? So worth enquiring.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Apparently there's only Edinburgh zoo in the UK. London zoo used to.

Will check out some of the rest though. Marwell or Cotswold wildlife park are he nearest big ones. I think.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Well hopefully someone from a local horticultural therapy charity (Ridgeline trust for those in Reading) is coming tomorrow morning to take it away.
Although he tells me he has a hatchback, I think he has underestimated how tall it was. And possibly how much. He does want to take as much as he can though.

All that needed to be chopped down has been. Now setting fire to bits of old shed and throwing in the odd bit of bamboo, makes a loud bang when it explodes. (Neighbours both sides are away so we can get away with it).

We still didn't find a panda, but I did find the remains of two oil drums and a cast iron drain pipe in two pieces. I also now know when DH put loads of large stones he dug up from another part of the garden.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now