Thank you York

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Yamin151

Thank you York

Post by Yamin151 »

We have just returned from a few days in York, definitely not enough! We loved it and for anyone who hasn't been yet, do, it's great.
Lots we didn't have time to do but this trip we did

Railway museum (free and so much to see)
York Dungeon (merlin entertainments and very touristy, but it was FUN and good value for a merlin attraction, and let's face it, might keep some of our students at York in a job to pay fees!)
Castle museum (tenner for adults, free for children, fab value, LOADS to see)
Eden camp museum of ww2, about 20 min away and established in the 26 or so huts of an old PoW camp. It's amazing, each hut portrays a different aspect of the war. Allow at least three hours, almost too much to absorb in one visit, each hit is imaginatively done and really worth the £25 or so we paid to get in. Holocaust pictures and description hard hitting, but avoidable for tinies. We felt important to see.
The Shambles and other medieval streets, gorgeous and beautiful, like stepping back in time. York is also compact so doing it all on foot really easy.
La Vecchia Scuola, a lovely italian restaurant in an old independent school, lovely conservatory and the food was delicious, the service proper without being stuck up, very child friendly.
We stayed at the premiere inn that is outside York, a short park and ride away from town and very clean and comfortable, with unlimited hot, cold and perfectly nice breakfasts for £61 all in or night. Quite a bargain.

As I say, thanks York, we will return!
Yamin151

Re: Thank you York

Post by Yamin151 »

Want to do this next trip

http://www.york.ac.uk/solar/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I also recommend Jorvik, Richard III museum, the Cathedral, river boat trip, Clifford's Tower, Archaeological Resource Centre (ARC) ... as well as the above.

We had a problem with our self-catering cottage and the Tourist Information Centre gave us each a free pass to all attractions ...
Last edited by Guest55 on Thu May 28, 2015 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Best city in the UK to visit , absolutely luv it!

mind you ,if you want fish and chips , buy outside the city wall limits, we were charge £50 for 4x F&C with some soft drinks :o

do a long w/e visit, fantastic.

another Historic City is Chester .
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DS1 and I had a meal in a very nice Turkish restaurant (complete with indoor barbecue) after his applicant visit day at the university. He subsequently decided to 'firm' Birmingham instead, but the two events were not connected :D .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
KS10

Post by KS10 »

And Castle Howard on a beautiful summer's day.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Yes, all of the above! We did the Richard Third exhib, very interesting.

And a gorgeous ice cream shop just down the road from there too.......
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Don't forget to do a walk along the city walls, so much to see as you go round, and of course it's free!

PS: don't firget the Merchant Adventurer's house in the centre.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Oh yes yes yes, the walls were great to walk around! Lovely views, and round the back of thats gorgeous hotel as well as the Minster.
And the Minster, of course, how could I forget?
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

don't forget the Ghost tour , my kids were were prettified :roll:

There's a part of me that still wishes they where 12 and 10yrs old again :cry:

This is one of the reasons I rail against accelerated learning(hot-housing)

I know , even I am boring myself.

Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
― Mahatma Gandhi

please do not make the same mistakes I have made , Let them develop naturally, there is nothing worse than your own children hating you as I do my parents .

so I went to to Oxford , big deal!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now