More easy BBQ ideas please

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Amber

Re: More easy BBQ ideas please

Post by Amber »

Tolstoy wrote:Gas Bbq surely!
I don't get the point of these. Why not just plug in a camping stove or go to Macdonalds or something? Food cooked outside is meant to taste as if it has been cooked outside. It must be slightly burnt on the outside and slightly raw in the middle so that you are slightly uneasy that you are not going to become horribly ill.

Scandinavia is best for outdoor cooking - you can start a fire anywhere pretty much (well I think it has to be outdoors, and not in school grounds or a churchyard or someone else's garden) so you can snout out all sorts of lovely places and just cook whatever you happen to have either caught or bought. We have had some lovely fires on beaches with no one around in both Norway and Sweden.

My lot love toasting marshmallows on fires.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

DH won't use a gas one either but I can't imagine him keeping his coals going long enough to boil rice despite being rather adept with them.

We used to live by the beach in Wales and on the rare occasion it wasn't raining we'd hit the beach for impromptu bbq's, great fun.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I won't use gas either.

Mix of wood and/or charcoal, depending on what I'm cooking. It's the main time I do cook. DH cooks most of the time and I BBQ.

We have a reasonable sized garden and several trees, so no shortage of wood.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Amber wrote:
Tolstoy wrote:Gas Bbq surely!
I don't get the point of these. Why not just plug in a camping stove or go to Macdonalds or something? Food cooked outside is meant to taste as if it has been cooked outside.
Too many assumptions with just a hint of snobbishness methinks!!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Tinkers wrote:We have a reasonable sized garden and several trees, so no shortage of wood.
Same; though one fewer live trees since one of DH's - 'oh just stick it on, it'll be fine' style mega-fires which turned a hawthorn at the bottom of the garden into an inferno one windy evening. Luckily there is a stream there and we spent several jolly hours putting it out with buckets, as no fire engine would have got down to it and it would have been a bit embarrassing. He hasn't learned, but we have, and he is never left alone with the matches now. What is it with men and fire?
Amber

Post by Amber »

doodles wrote:Too many assumptions with just a hint of snobbishness methinks!!
Ooh sorry. :oops:
If you read the next part I think I defused that
It must be slightly burnt on the outside and slightly raw in the middle so that you are slightly uneasy that you are not going to become horribly ill.
- but I still don't get the point of them, I'm afraid.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

I'm slightly embarrassed to admit now that we have a gas barbecue, which we bought last winter very very reduced in the sales. Having previously used an ordinary charcoal barbecue at home and also copiously on holiday on a French campsite I can honestly say I haven't noticed any difference in the taste of the food I've cooked so far. It's confusingly got a big hinged lid that you can close over it, with a temperature gauge on it - so then does that mean I'm roasting, not barbecuing? It's quite good not to have to dispose of used charcoal - and living in a pretty urban area there isn't much wood available to burn as an alternative!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Peridot wrote:I'm slightly embarrassed to admit now that we have a gas barbecue!
Agh I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset gas barbecue owners - I am sure they are lovely. I shall retire from this thread before I upset anyone else.

Enjoy your food all, however it is cooked.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

No, don't, Amber! I'm not upset. I've just admitted my guilty barbecue secret so I'm in a state of catharsis.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Peridot wrote:No, don't, Amber! I'm not upset. I've just admitted my guilty barbecue secret so I'm in a state of catharsis.
Thank you x

Actually in light of the tree conflagration incident, maybe I ought to reconsider my stance...