Books for Charlie Higson loving 10 yo

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Yamin151

Re: Books for Charlie Higson loving 10 yo

Post by Yamin151 »

silverysea wrote:I'm so impressed with these reading boys breaking the stereotype! Well done parents and kids to enjoy and respond to books.

I love apocalyptic stuff, me. I read one of DDs recently and liked, it was called The Girl with All the Gifts, I think. I don't think it was unsuitable for kids who are reading books mentioned so far. It is a zombie thing but somehow had more emotional depth, more believable somehow than TFiOS, which I found a bit ... Hmm.

I think they should try to get through some old classics too, in between current genres, like White Fang etc. There is so much in them they are worth the effort.
We still read to them whenever clubs/activites allow in the evenings, and tend to do more classic books then, as they do tend to find some of them a bit boring, though LOTR and even Silmarillion have been fully embraced by Thing 2 (yawn for me I'm afraid).
I'm reading them The Devil on the Road at the moment, by Robert Westall, its a fave of mine and they are loving it. Last book I read to them was Goodnight Mr Tom, which sometimes I couldn't read for sobbing! Not sure if I have left it too late to interest them in Secret Garden or Little White Horse, though they loved Toms Midnight Garden when they were younger. Dh is reading them that Sue Townsend book about the Queen having to move out of the palace, the Queen and I is it? Much guffawing from the bedroom when he reads that!
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

And if you think the boys books are depressing, be grateful you haven't got a daughter who's into Jacqueline Wilson ... :shock:

JD
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Agreed about the Jacqueline Wilson JD. Although there's one set worth reading - the Hetty Feather books - which are actually quite good. We saw an excellent stage production of Hetty Feather recently which is probably touring.

Sorry I know this is a boy book thread....
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

JamesDean wrote:And if you think the boys books are depressing, be grateful you haven't got a daughter who's into Jacqueline Wilson ... :shock:

JD
Oh yes! We looked at those! All about deat and divorce etc as that is meant to be a refelction of the real world. Sadly, these things are all too common, but I'm hoping they haven't slipped into 'commonplace'