Teenagers!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tinkers

Re: Teenagers!

Post by Tinkers »

On the plus side DD has made some very nice chocolate brownies this afternoon. I was out cutting up pallets to make a couple of log stores (as you do )

And brought me a G&T.

She also made some paprika and chorizo bread, but yet to taste that.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Tinkers wrote:On the plus side DD has made some very nice chocolate brownies this afternoon. I was out cutting up pallets to make a couple of log stores (as you do )

And brought me a G&T.

She also made some paprika and chorizo bread, but yet to taste that.
I want yours. :mrgreen:

Just get roof tile pallets...tipped side on = ready made log stores = zero effort !
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I've been trying to get any pallets, but know the type you mean. One of those would have been perfect for the task and situation.

Today we are back in grunt mode, wants some brownie but has been told to get dressed first and this apparently isn't fair.
however I can say the bread is lovely.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Just wanted to know if mine were in a new realm or par for the course. Hard to know where to start. Everything is my job and my problem and everything can be stepped over or overflowing until I deal with it. My mantra " Nothing lives on the floor" is totally ignored and most things seem to. The fact a new word exists for this is welcome news! I get up before them and go to bed after them seven days a week but am still not doing enough apparently. Bite your head off snappiness is the order of the day. DG
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Just my experience - mine are very late teenage years and as yet am still waiting for the "teenage" to happen.
TBH Never had to nag and never raised my voice (since younger was about 3 ..).

Have often thought about this - and come to the conclusion that there are various reasons:

1) kids just happen to be calm, not party animals, focussed on work and like their own company
2) this is a "yeh whatever" household and provided they aren't causing problems for other people, does whatever they do actually matter?
2a) there are limited rules, eg if you use the last of something, put it on the shopping list otherwise it won't reappear again. and no telling someone else what they ought to be doing, they may well know better than you.
3) we have huge floordrobes, but so long as they appear dressed in the morning and the clothes that need washing go in the washing bin, does it matter?

had a chat to the kids about all this - younger told me that she and her friends think that they think that the way kids behave comes from the parents behaviour in the teenage years and not the other way round. we will never know

have heard it said that parents should arrange temporary child swaps in toddler years, as they always behave better for someone else - perhaps it should be considered in teenage years.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Ok, mine do all of those things but don't get annoyed UNTIL I insist they do something about it. This morning I got Why are you so angry? because I was furious that yet again the blazer pockets hadn't been emptied and we were using our brand new washing machine after 2 weeks of not having one. OH was oblivious because he was watching the Ryder Cup. The rest is unrepeatable.

Crossed posts with HM. I'd love to be a bit more laid-back but I don't think that's ever going to happen.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I agree with Herman but mine are a spirited lot which I think stems from being brought up by spirited parents. We have taught them to challenge everything so I guess shouldn't be surprised when they challenge us and each other. It can be quite exhausting but I know I have only got myself to blame. Which as I said to my daughter yesterday, makes everything worse (not being able to blame anyone else!).

We have also brought them up to be kind and think of others so I am proudest of the fact that all of them seem genuinely capable of altruistic behaviour. I think it never hurts to remind teenagers that the world does not in fact turn around them - I cannot bear the sense of spoilt entitlement that I often witness and think if there is an 'answer' to bad teenage behaviour it probably lies in spending significant time in the company of those genuinely less fortunate - whether through disability, age or poverty. I also think they ought to get used at an early age to considering themselves part of a community, and that includes family, so having responsibilities and being willing to cook, clean the house etc, is something I think they all ought to get used to when young. I am such a monster sometimes :twisted: but we all like the place tidy and to eat nice food so sometimes others have to step up and help.

And the answer to floordrobes is imho not to intervene. Eventually the need for clean clothes will kick in and provide the stimulus for a useful reminder of how to use the washing machine.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Clothes stay on the floor until the need the vacuum her room kicks in, then I make her either put them away or she finds them in a pile on her bed. No one else sees her room except her friends.

She can seem to manage to put some dirty clothes in the laundry basket, so she does know where it is.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Is the issue with both girls or just your eldest DG? Mine are a year younger than your two, and dd2 is still in the early stages of puberty. She has already started to become emotional sometimes, but still has enough common sense to blame it on her hormones! She shrieked in the the bath a few days ago after noticing little bumps on her pancake chest :lol: We also have floor/chair/pile on top of clothes rail drobes, baths not emptied and an unwillingness to remove 500 items from their beds when the sheet needs changing. I dread to think what their room/flat will look like when they are students :shock:
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

It's taken me 6 months to convince DD she needs a bra. She is in denial about the whole growing up process.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now