Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tinkers

Re: Learning Piano without going for Grade Exams

Post by Tinkers »

I am soooooo glad it's not just us either. :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I took exams to grade 6 and hated it - I don't ever play now. So it is better to play than take grades ...

The only pro is to mention that grades from grade 6 do carry UCAS points which could help if an A level grade is dropped from a University offer ... I have seen students able to use this as an additional qualification.
ahap

Post by ahap »

I took up to grade 6 too and loved it. I dropped it due to lack of time after becoming a day scholar. I would have loved to continue but I was not going to do it as a career but enjoyed playing. I think that passion should be there for learning the instrument. I never felt this reluctance for practising the instrument. I felt happy when practising. Once I kept practising and practising and our matron I think who got sick of hearing me practice said 'Ahap haven't you practiced enough?' 'Alright Miss, I'll stop now.' said I. :roll: :lol:
Let him enjoy playing the instrument first. But its just my opinion. You know your son best.
Last edited by ahap on Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

Scales complement technique and knowledge of chord structures and the like; they shouldn't be a form of torture though. Whatever about taking the grade exams, there's merit in having a teacher who exposes you to pieces that require you to engage your brain and your fingers. It's really hard to play better unless someone expects more of you in technique or repertoire and nudges you in the right direction, otherwise you plateau sooner or later.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Stroller wrote:It's really hard to play better unless someone expects more of you in technique or repertoire and nudges you in the right direction, otherwise you plateau sooner or later.
I plateaued sooner. Very soon. (Never had a piano lesson in my life).

Like everything though - not everyone wants to be really good and I reckon it's better to enjoy something at a low level than to keep going and getting 'better' but hating every second of it. I enjoy lots of stuff at low level which is just as well really as I'm not good at very much. :D
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

Maybe, but I reckon there's a minimum level of competence (somewhere north of chopsticks :lol: ) before you're good enough to muck around happily. It has nothing to do with exams or certificates, but abandoning ship before that is all too easy, fairly common and a bit of a shame.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
succeed

Post by succeed »

I think it depends on the child.If they genuinely loathe it, it's counter productive to try to force them...'pick your battles' and all that . Some don't mind, some actually enjoy it, and others are more driven by their desire to please their parents, so get on with it.Seemingly, my son hated it more than he wanted to please us . :shock:
Blue fairy

Post by Blue fairy »

Any one know a good piano teacher in harrow or stanmore?
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I have sent you a pm.
Blue fairy

Post by Blue fairy »

Is pm a personal message
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now