Operation Christmas Child

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Yamin151

Operation Christmas Child

Post by Yamin151 »

The religious aspect is of course optional, but we filled our boxes today after meaning to do it and missing it for years! Thought I'd post a video link to a video about the boxes and encourage anyone who hasn't done it before to have a go if they fancy. The joy on the faces of the children is amazing.

http://www.samaritans-purse.org.uk/what ... cc-videos/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kenyancowgirl

Re: Operation Christmas Child

Post by kenyancowgirl »

We did this appeal most years when the children were in primary - I loved the idea of helping to make Christmas special for a child in a third world country and the boys, when younger, liked finding appropriate things to put in the boxes (before the rules on what could go in became much, much tighter.)

I remember there was a big debate about it on here and its' links with the Graham Evangelists in America, to the point that a number of reputable companies like Oxfam etc have withdrawn their support for the appeal, I think due in part to allegations that kids were "encouraged" to attend 10 bible study sessions etc

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... d&start=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am less sure/confident about it now, personally...
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Just a gentle warning. This is a hugely emotive topic that has come up on here before.

There is an awful lot of information and misinformation about this topic all over t'interweb.

Please, let's not allow this thread to become a religious war in its own right.

Thank you.

Sally-Anne

(X-post with KCG - thanks for finding the link.)
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

OK, had no idea there was any controversy involved. Lets agree then that our hearts are all in the right places and maybe we don't continue the thread in case it goes off the course of us just having done something to hopefully cheer a child, no problem
:)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Thanks, Yamin. I agree completely with your sentiments about cheering a child.

Having said that, I will step away from modding this thread because I have expressed my opinion (as per Mod rules), but people are welcome to discuss this if they can do so in a sensible and balanced way.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Here is an alternative:

http://www.rotaryshoebox.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So sad they have not been able to deliver anywhere near the ukraine. :cry:

Please note they use the international aid trust to deliver the boxes which is also a Christian charity but:
We select our distributors based on their honesty and efficiency. Some of them are church based, often from the newer churches within the country, working hard to help the disadvantaged in their community. Although these distributors are religiously motivated they understand our insistence that boxes are given out following the Rotary ethos which is non religious and non sectarian and choose people based solely on humanitarian needs. We do know that boxes are given to Christians, Jews, Muslims and people with no declared faith.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

If anyone wants to pack me up a box to cheer me up from the horrid rain and darkness, my rules are that it must contain chocolate, Kettle Chips (lightly salted only) and wine....lots of wine.

Or, alternatively, a boxed wine would be perfect... :wink:
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Sorry, no perishable goods, alcohol or blades can be sent, you can have a toothbrush, some colouring pencils and a small doll, perhaps a packet of veggie haribo as I'm sure they are not perishable.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

And a hat, don't forget the hat ...
Never understood the need for a hat??

JD
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I do, James Dean....I have very bad hair, today, having had it cut short yesterday....all sticky out with no washing today and the product remnants after a night's sleep...a hat would be useful....I am fairly sure that southbucks's veggie haribo would still be good in the event of some sort of nuclear disaster...them and the cockroaches...!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now