Osgood Schlatters injury

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MedievalBabe

Osgood Schlatters injury

Post by MedievalBabe »

I am just after some advice and I am hoping that some of you may have come across this and how you dealt with it.

My 10 year old DD is a gymnast and last week her knee gave way following some tumbling and then hurt. During the week she was seen by a medical professional who diagnosed Osgood Schlatters and gave us 2 pieces of advice, she could either stop all sport until she grows or carry on and learning to cope with the pain, using pain relief, further treatment and possibly looking at her nutrition.

We have decided to cut back on sport where possible but as a competition gymnast it's not easy, so she is temporarily signed off school sport and climbing so she can rest as much as possible between gym training in the hope she will be ready for her next competition.
Tinkers

Re: Osgood Schlatters injury

Post by Tinkers »

I'm no expert but DD has severs which is a similar problem I think, except she gets heel pain.
I think it's due to the bones growing faster than the muscles can cope with and mostly affects active children that are actively growing.

Some exercises helped DD, so maybe a physio can advise?

DD couldn't go en pointe in ballet as that's strongly not recommended, until the feet have stopped growing. She had just got to the point when she would start too. She is also having some knee pain now, but is nowhere near as active as your DD will be, so not an issue. Have they said what the long term consequences of continuing are?
mad?

Re: Osgood Schlatters injury

Post by mad? »

DD2 had the same aged 10, same sport, same advice. Get a physio who knows gymnasts and you will be given some exercises which will help a abit but more importantly be taught how to strap/tap it to relieve the pain a little in tumble. You can also get knee straps ( think Rafa Nadal) to go over the lump, but get one which is reasonably soft. We had one (well 2 actually :cry: ) with with a foam piece at the pressure point and DD2 said it helped a lot. Good gym coach should know the brand, I can't remember I'm afraid. Good luck. Very hard to train fully with it but a chance to perfect upstarts and beam routines :o !
mad?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now