Getting Acrylic paint off clothes

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tinkers

Getting Acrylic paint off clothes

Post by Tinkers »

DD had art the other day and they were doing splatter painting. With acrylic point. With no overalls. You know where this is going. :roll:

Down that path lies madness and clothes covered in paint spots.

Apparently DD got off lightly compared to same of the others. However, skirt, shirt collar and school jumper all have spots of paint on them.

Any advice on getting it off?
um

Re: Getting Acrylic paint off clothes

Post by um »

Mu daughter got some acrylic on a lovely t shirt a while back while doing calligraphy.
I tried loads of different stain removers...unfortunately it did not shift at all :(
KB

Post by KB »

Surgical spirit?
Or send the articles to school for the teacher to deal with ......
Amber

Post by Amber »

Reminds me of my very first teaching practice when I did hand print painting with a Reception class. Uniform wasn't compulsory and one little girl came to school in the most gorgeous white satin shalwar kamiz. Now I can see what a foolish choice of clothing this was to send a small child to school in; but at the time I was utterly mortified by the state she left in that day. Haunted me for weeks.

Sorry, that doesn't help really does it? Is this a small daughter or one who should have known better? Am assuming it's not GCSE Art by the fact it was splatter painting...?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Year 8 so they all should know better. :lol:
Miss Tinkers assures me that she hasn't got anywhere near as much on hers as some others.

They are doing abstract painting this year. Splatter painting was bound to happen.

I am quite attracted to KBs idea of sending it into school though.
:twisted:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Surely the school would say they should have worn their 'old shirt' or whatever they are supposed to bring to Art?
KB

Post by KB »

Shame they don't bring back old fashioned Home Economics where we learned how to hand wash and remove stains. Strict segregation by gender till one of my friends complained and we got to opt for woodwork instead :)
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

We had this last year when my daughter wasn't even doing artwork!! Her form room was unfortunately, the sixth form art room and the sixth formers used to leave their wet canvasses across chairs and desks to dry. Yes, I did say chairs, so you can imagine where the wet paint ended up! I was not amused.

Anyway, hubby got it out with white spirit. I believe, very gently is the term, or it affects the actual fibres of the garment. However, the euphoria of getting it out is soon masked by the inevitable, lingering smell of 'eau de white spirit' despite washing and soaking two or three times.

Good luck as it is tricky.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

In the end nail varnish remover, hair spray and gentle rubbing have done enough to make them reasonable. The stain is still there, but not so obvious on the skirt. The orangey pink stain on the red jumper is almost invisible. (I can see it when looking closely.) the White shirt has probably had it, but I might try bleach at some point.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

It's possible you will just end up with a very white blouse with pink splodges on it...

DS2 came home after science soc on Thursday with bright red paint of some description on his shirt cuff; apparently a sixth-former pushed some paint brushes into the sink he was using :shock: . Several soakings and scrubbings later, tif shirt is the brightest it's ever been. So are the red spots.

Fortunately M&S had his size in stock...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now