Eclipse

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Amber

Re: Eclipse

Post by Amber »

logic32 wrote:DS's school sent an email yesterday telling us to warn our sons not to attempt to watch the eclipse. Teachers would close shutters, blinds etc . A bit of a shame I feel although I realise they are trying to protect eyes.
What a terrible shame. And a bit silly too I feel. :(
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Dense cloud here all morning so we are going to have to watch it online or on tv later. It did get even darker and gloomier though for the duration. I really remember the 1999 eclipse as my son was a small baby; we put special glasses on him too just in case he glanced up at the sun. Still got the photos somewhere.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Ds2 (year 4) said the school were not going to be allowed out.

Dd1 in a drama exam all day so she won't have seen it.

Don't know about the others. I really enjoyed it.

I would have expected all the kids to have seen it.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

ginx wrote:I would have expected all the kids to have seen it.
I agree with Amber, and am quite sad if they've missed it for reasons other than the clouds. I hated physics at school, but now (when I grow up) I want to work at Jodrell Bank ... Ok, I may only make it as the tea lady, but to be part of it must be amazing :D

And not a week goes by when primary schools especially aren't being moaned at for a lack of science teaching. This was a really quick win, can't believe they haven't all jumped at the opportunity :(

JD
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Amber wrote:http://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/list.html

I'm happy to represent EPE in the South Pacific next year - I have always fancied Fiji.
I'll pack the bubbly :)
scary mum
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

You might struggle to get it through customs...I think it has to be in a clear plastic bag, in a container no larger than 100mls!! :lol:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I can always carry it inside me if needed! Apparently my DS was supposed to have physics at the appropriate time, but he is off sick :(. We saw nothing of it here in the south east as it was so cloudy (it went darkish, that was it), and of course it's a lovely day now.
scary mum
inkypinkyponky

Post by inkypinkyponky »

scary mum wrote: We saw nothing of it here in the south east as it was so cloudy (it went darkish, that was it), and of course it's a lovely day now.
Was the same here. Gutted that it was thick cloud over Kent this morning....and really, really annoyed that it's clear and sunny now!!
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

DS school sent home a letter before half term getting permission for boys to watch but only if they had glasses. DD school said they would watch it on the whiteboards, but she just said they couldn't get it loaded. At my school they forgot to order glasses in time so it was up to teachers and the class I was in got it up on the whiteboard to watch it. But we didn't really notice it getting much darker just colder.
gazzag

Post by gazzag »

Extract from Headmaster's comment in today's newsletter from my son's school:

"P.S. Anyone want to buy 150 unused eclipse glasses? Bargain price guaranteed! Thankfully the teaching staff took the boys into the Hall and they watched the spectacular images on screen. All we had outside was cloud!"
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now