Experiences of celebrities good or bad?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Dollydripmat

Re: Experiences of celebrities good or bad?

Post by Dollydripmat »

Yamin151 wrote:We all tend to think we are 'better' than someone of course, but I do feel there is plenty of room for a bit of frivolity, and that this can come in the form of 'pointless celebrities' , without meaning that we are all buying into a mindless celeb culture. I'd definitely say that whilst I loved (I say loved because I've completely lost touch now) a bit of celeb culture myself in my time, totally frivolous, posh and becks etc etc, but like to think that it didn't adjust my belief in what was 'worthy' or true fame. After all, like eating a burger, watching a crap tv show or reading a frothy novel, life is a bit dull and earnest if one cannot be thought of as intelligent and discerning unless one rejects all frothiness and, well, silly frivolity!
I realise this is not the case for all, but amongst my friends, I cannot think of one, and they are an intelligent lot, who doesn't sometimes enjoy silliness, but remains totally aware of honourable fame.
Great post!!! I do think age has a lot to do with it (I'm getting old now and don't recognise "new celebs or z listers! :wink: ) I'm moving on to long walks, country life , roaring log fires and hot coco (and wine!) with the occasional dip into hello (Andy murrays wedding!) dollyxxxx :lol:
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Amber wrote:You're right Yamin - all my friends tell me I don't know how to relax. I think they say it because I cannot stand watching TV! But I do relax by doing other stuff like walking in the hills and I can be silly too. I am just not a fan of celebrity. But I can kind of see myself becoming a boring old f**t so maybe I ought to take out a subscription to 'Hello' magazine and throw myself into it!
Slightly off celebrities, sorry, but I think we all need a variety of both intellectual and silly. I was in the Czech republic recently and saw an absolutely sublime production of The Magic Flute; I will remember the young Czech singers' stunning voices for the rest of my life. But I am now reading a fairly silly but excellent novel (The Rivers of London by Ben Aaranovitch) and even watched a bit of Britain's Got Talent at the weekend with DD. That's what you need, Amber: an injection of the dreaded BGT!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Peridot wrote:[ That's what you need, Amber: an injection of the dreaded BGT!
No, please no 'vote-em'-off' shows! I can't stand them. I do watch HIGNFY and I watched a documentary with Louis Theroux recently (eye candy); and I do listen to a lot of music - doesn't that count? And also I make other people laugh a fair bit and not always because I am weird, so I am not ultra-serious and I do have masses of interests.

I just don't like telly really. :oops:
Dollydripmat

Post by Dollydripmat »

I do feel TV is saturated with awful reality programmes. I don't watch TV too much other than the odd good drama, thankfully we don't have sky, which at my daughters school we appear to be quite odd!!! :shock: Dollyxxxx
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

I also met Andy Flower last year, I recognised him straight away. He was with family, so I left them to their shopping.
Kata girl

Post by Kata girl »

A couple of years ago I was in a lift in my office block with a couple of colleagues and a very tall man got in - when we got out my colleagues were excitedly saying Did you see him ?? I was oblivious but turns out it was Freddie Flintoff ! Seb Coe occasionally rushes past with his tie flying over his shoulder - always looks very suave...
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

My dd's PE teachers have been Kathy Cook(Smallwood) and Gary Cook former GB athletes.Sad to see them go as the latter retires in the summer probably not long behind will be Kathy.End of an era and will be sadly missed
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Dibsie

Post by Dibsie »

I met Robert Lindsay in the BBC bar (my uncle worked at the Beeb). He kissed my hand and I was horrified! I was also pushed out of the way by Jimmy Savile whilst doing a sponsored walk. I count myself very lucky!
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

We haven't watched BGT for several years and got to watched a part of it last Saturday as when we put the TV on,we were just on the appropriate channel for the show . We couldn't stop laughing with this performance; I address it to Amber who is a polyglot!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1inR2b7PS5M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That was for your injection of BGT for this year, Amber :wink:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now