Experiences of celebrities good or bad?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Peridot

Re: Experiences of celebrities good or bad?

Post by Peridot »

You can tell the birds are happy with Norman the second they appear on stage.

I was very sad last year when my children suddenly announced they'd grown out of Zippos and didn't want to go any more. They've been every year since they were tiny.

As for "celebrities", quite a lot of thespians live around my area west of London, all of whom seem quite normal if you see them in the street. Many have families with children at local schools and just want to blend in with everyone else. The only truly unpleasant person I met was Nigel Havers. I encountered him in work circumstances during my first job after graduating and he was not charming at all.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Interesting the personas people 'play' which can be so different in real life.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Absolutely Yamin. "The Charmer" he was not...
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

DD served Dave from the Hairy Bikers yesterday with a fat rascal, they are here for the Good Food Show. Today I walked past both of them on my way into work and spoke to them. They laughed at me :oops:

Not seen Mary Berry or Paul Hollywood yet though :roll:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Many moons ago, I met Timothy Spall. The circumstances were such that others may have taken the 'but don't you know who I am?', but he was absolutely not like that at all :) .

Even further back in the mists of time, one October half term I stayed with the translator and play agent Kitty Black - only of course all I really knew was that my friend's Universal Aunt (not sure whether the company still exists, but said friend's parents were living in the Gilbert and Ellice Islands at the time and made quite a bit of use of them) had invited me to stay for a few days as well. I did realise that she was 'something to do with the stage', though, and one evening I came flying down the stairs nearly slap bang into Michael Bentine, who had come to visit.

If being at the next table counts, rather more recently a friend and I had lunch with Alan Davies :lol: . He was totally not 'being a celebrity' and I would have missed him entirely had my friend not pointed out that he was there.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

quasimodo wrote:Yesterday my extended family were celebrating my youngest brothers 50th birthday in "The Plough" in Harborne High Street in Birmingham.It had been a very pleasant afternoon but when leaving the children had spotted a celebrity arriving who happily posed for pictures and indeed took the phones off them and clicked a number of selfies with them .He was very pleasant and charming, considering how many times he must do this.The children were able to post them on snap chat, twitter and other social media sites.The children had met "Dynamo".The whole afternoon was elevated by our positive experiences with him the children couldn't contain the buzz.

Unfortunately we will have to wait for the TVshows for his magic.His personality certainly was magic.
The extraordinary thing about the encounter was that my eldest dd told Dynamo she had dreamt she was going to meet him.That's why she was so stunned when she met him.

Are these things pure chance or is their power in dreams?
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
sbarnes

Post by sbarnes »

We saw Mike Brewer in BullRing once and when we went upto him to say hello, his missus quickly intervened and pulled out some pre-signed photos of him , handed them to us and whooshed us away. He is popular but not that famous..
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Who?? :lol:
scary mum
Fatnorville

Post by Fatnorville »

Roger Moore tells a funny story about Frank Sinatra in his latest book.

A young chap, Al, was waiting in a restaurant for his date. Frank Sinatra is sitting close by having dinner. Al nervously walks up to Frank and tells him he is his biggest fan, and he is on a first date whom he desperately wants to impress. He asks that when his date arrives, whether Frank could pop over to their table and greet Al like a long lost friend.

Frank agrees and later when Al is eating with his date, Frank pops over and says "Al! Good to see you. how are you doing?"

To which Al replies "Frank, can't you see I'm eating? Leave me alone."
Fatnorville

Post by Fatnorville »

A friend, John, was body guard / dogs body for a Hollywood actor, and was at Oliver Reeds house attending a party to celebrate the release of the film Castway (I think).

John usually remained in the background. He hadn't been invited to mingle. He was there to work, but he was a HUGE Oliver Reed fan. At the end of the evening he plucked up the courage to talk to Oliver Reed, who was very very drunk.

He explained that we was a fan and could he have his autograph? Oliver Reed looked at him, and asked his name and his address, and then staggered off to continue with the party.

Several weeks later John received a postcard from Oliver Reed from some exotic island saying to the effect of "...John, Just a quick hello. Having a great time. See you when I get back to the UK....Oliver Reed".
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now