Should chimpanzees have the same legal rights as homosapiens

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ConfusedFather

Re: Should chimpanzees have the same legal rights as homosap

Post by ConfusedFather »

I would say "kill them all". :twisted:

If you've ever read (not watched), Planet of the Apes, you might have gotten that visceral, primal fear of seeing your species toppled and thrown to irrelevance. :lol:

Regarding cats, I am not sure if it's proper etiquette to talk about our benevolent overlords in this way. :oops:
piggys

Post by piggys »

Hmmm...this is a difficult one.... (strokes beard thoughtfully). Personally, I'm already having a hard enough time accepting I'm from the same species as Donald Trump :lol: let alone considering the rights (or otherwise) of different species.

Taking the conversation in a slightly different direction, how many of us agree that with enough tutoring and training, a chimpanzee could get a place in one of the super selectives? I believe that with the right (ultra disciplined) approach it is a very real possibility.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

ConfusedFather wrote:I would say "kill them all". :twisted:

If you've ever read (not watched), Planet of the Apes, you might have gotten that visceral, primal fear of seeing your species toppled and thrown to irrelevance. :lol:

Regarding cats, I am not sure if it's proper etiquette to talk about our benevolent overlords in this way. :oops:
When I read this I thought you might be up to some monkey business. :)
piggys wrote:Hmmm...this is a difficult one.... (strokes beard thoughtfully). Personally, I'm already having a hard enough time accepting I'm from the same species as Donald Trump :lol: let alone considering the rights (or otherwise) of different species.

Taking the conversation in a slightly different direction, how many of us agree that with enough tutoring and training, a chimpanzee could get a place in one of the super selectives? I believe that with the right (ultra disciplined) approach it is a very real possibility.
You might have a point.Smile please. :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-37061484" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

wrong manip :roll: I wanted to pm! :roll: :oops:
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

piggys wrote:Hmmm...this is a difficult one.... (strokes beard thoughtfully). Personally, I'm already having a hard enough time accepting I'm from the same species as Donald Trump :lol: let alone considering the rights (or otherwise) of different species.

With you on DT. :-(

As for chimps' superselective chances, assuming MCQ papers only, and a large enough cohort of chimps, the law of big numbers could mean it's not as far fetched as people might think. In one test I read about years ago, monkeys outperformed stockbrokers because they made pure random, bias-free selections.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/10/ ... read-minds" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chimpanzees might be able to understand if you are monkeying about.The article in todays Times on this issue by Oliver Moody their science correspondent begins with the paragraph;

Plato may have coined the idea of "false beliefs" in his dialogue "Theaetetus",but it turns out that the ability to spot when people are mistaken is not unique to ancient Greek philosophers.It is not even unique to humans.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Stroller wrote:Plato may have coined the idea of "false beliefs" in his dialogue "Theaetetus",but it turns out that the ability to spot when people are mistaken is not unique to ancient Greek philosopher
It's not unique to most people here, make it up as you go along?

"So this posting about why folks oppose evidence-based practices in learning comes from a person who's worked practically in schools for decades, as well as been at the front edge of research in learning. He's got the experience (scars?).

What gets in the way, according to him?

People's intuition about how education should work, based on misinterpretation of their own, or their own family's, experience. He quotes university faculty who have misgivings about applying evidence-based methods to schools because it might change their own children's schools, and “the system was working very well for [them], thank you very much.” Most people who control learning environments at any level are, indeed, the selected survivors of all the random types of learning environments they've been in. It's very human to assume “it must be good – it worked for me,” but not a good way to select at-scale treatments, either in medicine, or for learning.

People's natural aversion to being wrong, leading them to reject evidence that contradicts their own practices and assumptions. Confirmation bias - it's one of a long list of cognitive biases we have that behavioral economists point out mess up our decision-making. Other fields of human endeavor have made progress in the face of this tide – completely different areas, like medicine and direct-mail marketing – with real impact. (Ahem.) Surely we need to get on the right side of this – using evidence, not intuition, to drive better results for learning? (While watching out for misuses of evidence gathered, of course.)"

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... &start=190" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

^^I did not say that.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

C,
Stroller clearly didn't say what he is quoted as saying.

In respect of your reference to the previous thread. At the time I let you misinterpretation of what I was saying go.When I said it was a question of interpretation this was a reference to the previous objective discussion which had been going on in relation to the Parliamentary briefing paper.This was why it was on a paragraph on its own.

The second paragraph were clearly subjective comments based on personal experiences.

On the subject of this thread and the title to this thread I am not yet in the position where I agree with the proposition.The science is changing and developing and I become more open to the idea one day and greater protections today.

Abraham Lincoln
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now