Musical Recommendations Please

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Reading Mum

Musical Recommendations Please

Post by Reading Mum »

My yr 8 DD is a big fan of musicals - they aren't really my thing but I don't mind taking her.

I am looking for recommendations on things to look out for. We will be doing one of the 'big ones' when in New York in October - maybe Phantom, Les Mis, Lion King, we will have to see what we can get tickets for.

We have done Matilda (twice), We Will Rock You (twice), Wicked (twice), Charlie & Choc Factory, Hetty Feather in the West End. She loved Our House (Madness songs) in Bristol.

I am watching out for tours of Return to Forbidden Planet and Little Shop of Horrors (DVD gets played a lot) but nothing is happening at the moment that we could get to. Hairspray DVD is on quite often too so that is another possible.

Are there any other hidden (or not so hidden) gems we should take a look at?
solimum

Re: Musical Recommendations Please

Post by solimum »

Don't forget the classics of the past - Oklahoma, Sound of Music, My Fair Lady, South Pacific, Fiddler on the Roof, Carousel - all full of great tunes. You might find a local amateur production (and some of them have school versions). And West Side Story is stunning.

Lion King is magical - I've seen it twice and would happily go again.

Don't bother with Cats - no plot at all! But "Joseph" is fun.

My DD loved "Moulin Rouge" but I just couldn't get into it

The recent film version of Sondheim's "Into the Woods" is brilliant (whereas with Sweeney Todd you are better off seeing a live show - the gore is far more comical)

And of course there's Mamma Mia - I took my then much younger DD to see that before they made the film and we sang along with great gusto!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

West Side Story, Chicago, Annie, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Bugsy Malone
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Thanks - we have Bugsy on record, I had forgotten that one. I am bidding on a West Side Story DVD on ebay as I have never seen it.
I had wondered about Chicago - she is probably old enough for that now. Joseph is a good call too.

I tried her with My Fair Lady and she found the movie too slow - live is probably better. We had the same with Blues Brothers. Getting her to watch anything old on screen is difficult as she is horribly critical of resolution/recording quality/effects.
solimum

Post by solimum »

Live is always better! Sometimes film directors feel the need to add lots of extra sweeping landscape/ crowd scenes to show off their brilliance and it can detract from the characters, the plot and the music. Maybe pick up soundtrack CDs to become familiar with some of the songs.

I used to love my grandparents' vinyl record of songs from "Paint Your Wagon" - don't think I ever saw a a production but I was word perfect on "Wanderin' Star"!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Opera.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

There was a piece on Women's Hour about 10.30 this morning about a new production of My Fair Lady at the Old Vic.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

OliverTwist if you can find it, Wizard of Oz.
KB

Post by KB »

Billy Elliot
Stomp ( different genre)
Jersey Boys - amazing but there is a lot of swearing & one particular scene of a a ******** nature ( not that you see anything!)
Top Hat
Bodyguard ( bit intense but I don't recall anything too explicit)
Sister Act ( singing is great but as Christian found several parts offensive - just a heads up, not intending to put anyone off going)

More votes for Mamma Mia & Hairspray on stage rather than DVD & for Lion King.
Apart from one amazing bit of staging I wasn't blow away by Phantom.
Les Mis is something special but might be better enjoyed when a bit older?
Probably me being prudish but I felt the constant undercurrent in Chicago made it less suitable for pre/ young teens.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The King and I.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now