Oversubscription analysis

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest1963

Oversubscription analysis

Post by Guest1963 »

Here's an interesting article:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... ols104.xml

Does anyone know how to get hold of the figures referred to in it? We are given the top 14 oversubscribed secondary schools but it would be interesting to see the breakdown by county (and even by school, if possible!)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Guest 1963

The figures are available broken down by school for Bucks for 2006 entry, and the 2007 figures should be available any day.

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/moderngov/Dat ... tem04c.pdf

Note that this only tells you how many children who live within catchment and did not receive their 1st preference school. It does not tell you how many children from out-of-county applied for the most popular schools and did not receive a place.

To save you squinting at the figures, the only oversubscribed schools in Bucks in 2006 were Beaconsfield High, Aylesbury High and Dr Challoners. Between them they turned away 36 children against an admission number of 510 places.

There may be a clue in all of this to the "headline figures" that the newspapers love so much - not all of the children turned away actually lived in catchment for those schools, and therefore probably never stood a chance of gaining a place.

Sally-Anne
Guest1663

Post by Guest1663 »

Thanks for that, Sally-Anne. It's the out-of-county allocations I was interested in actually - this document shows that the proportion of places allocated outside Bucks for the school I'm interested in has fallen quite dramatically over the last few years. I'd really love to know how many applications they had in the first place, though! :wink:
WP

Re: Oversubscription analysis

Post by WP »

Guest1963 wrote:Here's an interesting article:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... ols104.xml
They have omitted Parmiter's (in Herts), which with 1318 applications for 185 places would be at 7th place in their table.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Guest 1663,

Three years ago Bucks changed to distance from the school as one of the criteria - hence why OOC has fallen.
Guest1663

Post by Guest1663 »

Guest55,
Yes - I thought the change in rules might have something to do with it - but would it affect the number of applicants qualifying? In other words - if the same number of children are sitting the 11+ and places are only offered outside the county once all in-county qualifiers are catered for, then surely it would't make that much difference? Unless the change in criteria is actually putting people off trying in the first place, and the increase in in-county qualifiers is somehow due to the effects of standardization?
Angry Londoner

Post by Angry Londoner »

Incredible statistics - and very worrying for my brother who lives in South East London. Two of the schools mentioned (Aske's & Thomas Tallis) are local to him. Aske's has very good results and is an ex-grammar school, obviously doing something right as even now achieving 98% 5+ GCSEs with a mixed ability intake. BUT Thomas Tallis only achieves 40%! And is still vastly over subscribed!! Probably because the other schools in the area are among the 26 schools (nationwide) with less than 25% attaining this level. Shame on the government for allowing such differing oppotunities to be given to our children!
KE Mum

Post by KE Mum »

It is a funny article really, as it misses out other schools that have just as high a subscription rate.

I would have said that KE Aston gets more applicants than Handsworth, based on the number of available places, but then I may be misguided.
solimum

oversubscription

Post by solimum »

You're right!

This document

http://services.bgfl.org/services/admis ... hlbook.doc

contains details for all Birmingham secondary schools, and using the latest (2007) figures the KE schools had the following applicants per place:

Aston 11.9
Camp Hill Boys 11.8
Camp Hill Girls 8.6
Five Ways 10.6
Handsworth 9.1

Total for the five schools 6116 applications for 595 places: however these are the applicants listing the schools as one of their 6 preferences, so presumably an unknown number applied to more than one and fewer than the 6116 children in total are involved. (Also before KenR comments, I realise some of them will be from areas where they didn't have 6 preferences.....)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now