Period pains-Dysmenorrhoea

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

loobylou

Re: Period pains-Dysmenorrhoea

Post by loobylou »

I agree about the tablets. I've made mine use tablets since they were about 8. The best ones to start with are ibuprofen because they are nice and coated and easy to slip down or anti-histamines because they are very tiny. The easiest way to try and swallow them if you have a very strong gag reflex is by using a straw and juice rather than water. Put the tablet near the back of the tongue and then suck the juice through the straw. It works really well. (And no we weren't taught that at university but months of hyperemesis taught me how to try and take anti-sickness tablets as a tablet-hater)!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Another good trick is to put the tablet to one side of the mouth and wash it down the side of the throat rather than 'straight down'.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Guest55 wrote:Another good trick is to put the tablet to one side of the mouth and wash it down the side of the throat rather than 'straight down'.
I have always found 'take that' has worked rather well. Tough love here. :twisted:

When you can get a worming tablet down a cat, a paracetamol down a child is easy peasy. Never even had to hold them in an armlock with one hand and hold their nose with the other :)
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

I have failed to get my children to take tablets so far. Still on calpol and they both weigh more than I do...

I hate taking tablets too but my solution is to always eat something first. When you have chewed whatever it is enough to be able to swallow it, sneakily open your mouth, pop the tablet in with the chewed mouthful and swallow. Voila. Disgusting to anyone watching closely but effective.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DD doesn't gag as such, the tablet just doesn't do down. We've tried all sorts. Even tiny antihistamines didn't go down, let alone bigger ones. Even the smooth nurofen types. What eventually happens is the tablet starts dissolving in her mouth. She can't understand it anymore than I can.
To be fair, she doesn't need tablets very often.

Have not tried the straw trick though, so will try that next time. I've tried the 'just swallow it approach' Amber, but she is trying her best. It's not so much she won't, just doesn't seem to be able to. (I've also managed to get tablets into a cat, but wrapping DD up in a towel and holding her mouth closed seems a bit extreme.)

However she does cope with injections very well, having recently had the HPV jab. That doesn't bother her at all, despite a number of other girls having screaming hissy fits.

Sorry Catseye that this is a bit OT, but since part of your DDs problem is taking tablets, I thought I'd share our experience. Hopefully you have got plenty of advice to be able to help your DD.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Tinkers wrote:(I've also managed to get tablets into a cat, but wrapping DD up in a towel and holding her mouth closed seems a bit extreme.).
Nah, not at all. :wink: :D

Hey, now we have regime change, the NHS won't be providing expensive treatments like tablets any more, so the problem will go away by itself.

+1 to OP. Sorry x
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Mine hatre liquid and only take tabs. Obviously breaking them in half can help (the tablets not the children!! :lol: )
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

My poor dd started off with the ibuprofen, moved to the tran and mef acid and has now moved onto the pill. We were very reluctant to take this route because of family history, but sometimes you have to step back and reassess your thinking. Short term 'pain' (as in taking the pills) for long term gains.

Please, it's your daughter going through this and it's her putting up with the physical pain and discomfort. Allow your daughter to visit the gp and take the advice given. It may be ibuprofen is enough, but you cannot put your daughter through this misery each month.
doodles

Post by doodles »

[quote=loubylou]I think personally that far far far too much in this world is over-medicalised. However this one to me is a bit like acne. I think it's an outrage that I still see teenagers / people in their 20s with bad scarring because their parents thought acne was "one of those things" that would just settle in time. There is no excuse to have bad enough acne to scar you for the rest of your life nowadays. It is treatable. [/quote]

Sorry OT but mus take the opportunity - how long before lymecillin (?) should work. 4 weeks in it has certainly reduced redness and spots but new ones are still coming and not completely cleared. I've put it down to stress!!
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Thanks all
Had a telephone consultation with my excellent male GP , have discussed all options and feel informed enough to try ibuprofen first.(He suggested maybe use pct concurrently also but when I suggested NICE guidelines did not recommenced this ,he seemed quite relaxed about it,(doctors must hate patients like me :roll:) -but I trust him and happy do go with his advise.

btw why are telephone consultations not used more, I would guess most GP consultations could be done this way where the diagnosis is not in doubt and really does not need a face to face meeting, better and more convenient for both hard pushed doctors and patients ?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now