Earthquake in Kent

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Yamin151

Re: Earthquake in Kent

Post by Yamin151 »

Oh for goodness sake.

Please feel free to stay out of the kitchen if you don't like the discussion Guest55. Comic Relief has had a long and highly successful history of mixing humour with true tragedy. No one is forgetting what is happening out there, in fact I even mention it in my post AND the humour posts are about poking fun at those who might feel they have anything to complain about when we live in such a safe environment. Bit like taking the mickey out of someone because they say they are starving, when so many are TRULY starving.
Stop trying to ascribe nastiness to us all and just don't join in if you disapprove. We are nice people but you seem determined to condemn us as heartless.

Just because humour does not play a part in your life here, doesn't mean we are not allowed to have it. NO ONE here is laughing at the seriousness of the Nepal or similar disasters, merely at people's hysteria over a silly earth movement here! We ARE allowed to talk about it!
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Yamin151 and Kenyancowgirl loved your comments on this thread brought nice smiles to my face with the humour and the article.

Particularly so as I lie on the sofa following my exercise yesterday with a hot water bottle on my back having pulled a muscle.I keep saying exercise is dangerous.I can't take any chemicals to relieve the pain, already on too many.So I have to grin and bear it. :D
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Ouch!!

Poor you. Hope you have a nice DVD to keep you company, and preferably a box of chocs too!!!! :D :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'm not sure when being so rude about residents of Dudley has ever counted as 'humour' ... Comic Relief is always done their sketches thoughtfully to send trhemselves up - not other people.

Your comments about me reveal more than you might like ...
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Dudley folk who are part of the black country have very wide shoulders and have there own sense of humour and are used to sending themselves up.It may not be everyone's sense of humour just like this mornings Kent earthquake story in the daily mail.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blackcountry/featu ... okes.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

g55 - lighten up - or just don't comment - everyone else can see this was all tongue in cheek about a very small earthquake in this country - why can't you? Nobody is forgetting the trauma of Nepal - NOBODY - but we have the ability to laugh at ourselves - laughter is, after all, the best medicine.

You say you are offended on behalf of the people of Dudley - Yamin clearly posted an apology to them at the top. The great thing about British people is that the majority of us have the ability to laugh at ourselves. We are in danger of becoming a doom and gloom forum if we are not allowed to have any humour for fear of offending you. It's no wonder people don't stay on this forum....
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think it is clear who is making personal comments on this thread and I know people are more concerned about personal abuse from certain posters than offending me!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

quasimodo wrote:Dudley folk who are part of the black country have very wide shoulders and have there own sense of humour and are used to sending themselves up.It may not be everyone's sense of humour just like this mornings Kent earthquake story in the daily mail.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blackcountry/featu ... okes.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well said, quasimodo! The Dudley folk I have met are amongst the most self deprecating in the world! Was not Lenny Henry from there? I have been through a few earthquakes in Africa but the thing that made me jump the most was, a few years ago, when two RAF jets were given permission to go supersonic due to another aircraft sending out a distress beacon - the sonic boom out of nowhere made everything shake, including our own bodies - and there was nothing to be seen and over so quickly that nobody knew what had happened!
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/we-wi ... 69425.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... cial-media" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Abraham Lincoln
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

We experienced two tremors in Wellington New Zealand where I have a sister. It really is the wierdest feeling. Not nice obviously.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now