would you move closer to school?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
i-mum

would you move closer to school?

Post by i-mum »

We currently live close to good GS, just 2.5 miles, but bus journey takes 40 mins to reach school.

Son has got positive results for other equally or better GS, and we are thinking if we should put those other GS over this local one in CAF? If he gets into one of those other GS, we can buy a house closer to that non local GS so he can walk to school.

40 mins bus vs walk - Is it worth moving?
ToadMum

Re: would you move closer to school?

Post by ToadMum »

i-mum wrote:We currently live close to good GS, just 2.5 miles, but bus journey takes 40 mins to reach school.

Son has got positive results for other equally or better GS, and we are thinking if we should put those other GS over this local one in CAF? If he gets into one of those other GS, we can buy a house closer to that non local GS so he can walk to school.

40 mins bus vs walk - Is it worth moving?
What would his journey be like to the other school(s) if you didn't move?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

We tried to move house to move closer to school. No problem in selling our house, but every family size property that went up for sale near the school went to sealed bids very quickly, and usually went for ££ over the asking price. We eventually gave up but we know that for others have often waited for over a year for something to come up. We're inside the M25 though so it does depend on where you are looking, but I would talk to some estate agents first, and make sure that you know this is feasible. Personally I think it is a huge risk unless there is also a way for your dc to commute to each of the schools on your CAF from where you currently live - some of the grammars are now over-offering on March 1 to try to reduce the waitlist movement thereafter, so if you didn't get your local choice in the first round, you may not be able to have another attempt. It depends on how fussy you are about where you live I guess.

In terms of journey times, we live a 15 minute drive to school or a 45 journey by public transport (of which 30 minutes of that is walking). My dc quite often ask to go by public transport as they get to spend time with their friends, and some of their closest friendships are with the people they travel with.
i-mum

Post by i-mum »

We will move if he doesnt get into local GS. Cant commute from current place to any GS other than the local one.

I am currently thing about options in CAF as

Local GS - GS1 - GS2 - GS3 - GS4 - GS5

or

GS1 - GS2 - Local GS - GS4 - GS5

GS 1: higher ratings in terms of league tables, oxbridge etc etc. house price similar to current place
GS 2: similar rating to Local GS, house prices cheaper, commute to london shorter
i-mum

Post by i-mum »

Thanks Ladymuck. We are inside M25 too and applied only to the GS commutable to central london. No other child so willing to move if DS doesnt get into local GS. After reading your reply I am thinking that not getting something we can afford and like near GS1 is a risk.

Selling and buying involves money and hassle, so trying to see if it is worth for a shorter commute for DS for next 7 years.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

All of the grammar schools inside M25 are superselective and the results for an individual child probably won't vary that much - especially if they are at the level where they have qualified for 5 such schools. You can do the sums for stamp duty and moving costs. It isn't cheap. you will also be under pressure to sell and buy by September which puts pressure on you. Especially if you don't know for certain where you would be moving to until March.

I don't think that a 40 minute journey by a single bus within the M25 is particularly arduous for a school journey for a teenager. And he could cycle it in less. I suggest having a look at the school bus at school run time and seeing how many blazers are on it.
i-mum

Post by i-mum »

Ladymuck wrote:All of the grammar schools inside M25 are superselective and the results for an individual child probably won't vary that much - especially if they are at the level where they have qualified for 5 such schools. You can do the sums for stamp duty and moving costs. It isn't cheap. you will also be under pressure to sell and buy by September which puts pressure on you. Especially if you don't know for certain where you would be moving to until March.

I don't think that a 40 minute journey by a single bus within the M25 is particularly arduous for a school journey for a teenager. And he could cycle it in less. I suggest having a look at the school bus at school run time and seeing how many blazers are on it.
Thank you. I have been thinking about the leaguetable/oxbridge numbers, impressive facilities of GS1 or the nice houses close to GS2. What you are saying makes sense and I should put the emotional thoughts aside and think logically. The local GS is good as well and boys travel long distances/time to come it to from various places.
KB

Post by KB »

Unless you want to move for other reasons then it puts a lot of pressure on the child to know that the whole family has suffered upheaval and expense just for them.

It doesn't seem like a silly time on the bus especially if he uses the time to relax between end of school and homework - chilling with mates or listening to audio book/ music. Good to have a snack and water to recharge the batteries after school tho.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I think in London a lot of relatively short (distance) journeys can take that long on the bus. Many of my friends' children go to local comprehensives and spend at least that long on the bus. It's just luck really (or very careful advance planning) that puts you within an easy walk of the perfect secondary school for your child. We used to live 4 miles from dd's school and it was a 25 minute bus journey. We moved (for other reasons) and are now 2 miles away and a longer bus journey! I think 40 minutes is perfectly reasonable - partly because it's easy. When you have to factor in different modes of transport, relying on connections etc it gets trickier.
i-mum

Post by i-mum »

hmm.. didnt think that kid will take it like that. Yes, main reason to move is to be close to school so kid can walk to school. Though additional reason is the ratings of GS1 and possibility of nicer house/garden/commute with GS2.

I think in bus he would be talking to his friends(which is good) or he will be playing games on mobile.