trash?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
doodles

Re: trash?

Post by doodles »

This is a very interesting list, some of them (5,7,8 & 9) are for very young nursery age children. I do think there's some brilliant literature missing from the list though.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There is a top 100 too:

https://www.tes.co.uk/news/school-news/ ... -%E2%80%93" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
doodles

Post by doodles »

There's a lot of very young books there what about Maurice Gleitzman, Pig Heart Boy etc.

Is this a list of independent reading or read to books?
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Pig Heart Boy is on the list of 100 that Guest55 linked to. Surprising to see how many of our (dd's) favourites are not on there. It's quite an "English" lousy I think (although there are titles I don't recognise so I could be wrong).
doodles

Post by doodles »

Thanks LL, I didn't see it. I think I was distracted by the number of, what I would consider to be, nursery books on the list and whether it is an independent reading list. For example The Very Hungry Caterpillar is brilliant in a nursery setting and can be used in so many ways but I'm not convinced that when a child can read independently they would read it - so many of them can recite it word for word before they leave nursery!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

I like the fact that there are nursery books on there. Personally I think there is a tendency to rush DC onto what we as adults perceive to be more challenging books rather than letting DC just enjoy reading for readings sake.

My 10 year old's favourite book is still Tabby McCat and we read it together regularly. However he is also reading the Eragon series. My gifted reader stuck to picture books for ages or refused to read. He finally got into Magic Kittens when he was about 9 and the only other book he read at primary bar them was The Curious Incident ...(read it about three times I think but a completely different read from MKittens :lol: )
doodles

Post by doodles »

I'm not saying I don't like "nursery" books being on the list, I'm just rather surprised by the number there are given that, I think somebody said, this has been compiled by primary school teachers.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Ah but some of them will teach reception. I can still recite Bear Hunt verbatim and it's been a while since I taught reception or had children young enough to enjoy it still. :)
doodles

Post by doodles »

Just surprised to see a large number of the books I use on a daily basis at work on this list.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

It is '100 books all children should read before leaving primary school', not specifying how long before leaving :) .

I haven't read Coraline, but I remember DD saying that it was pretty scary when she read it around year 5. Goodnight Mr Tom has some quite upsetting scenes, as well; possibly worth a gentle word of warning before letting DC of delicate sensibilities loose on those two?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx