Grade 5 theory - work books?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ToadMum

Re: Grade 5 theory - work books?

Post by ToadMum »

Just had a rummage through the Theory shelf in the bookshop section whilst DS2 murders some grade 1 violin pieces. They have something called Theory Time! (also Aural Time!, but not grade 5), published by Bosworth. Seems to be exercises for ABRSM and other boards; not sure whether there books are any use as it's decades since I did Music O level or a practical exam!
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

ABRSM have their own workbooks. There is a DAO Y7 mum who does a great summer crash course which parents have been very happy with. We went to weekly classes at the music school where students worked through the ABRSM workbook. At home we did the past papers and dd managed to pull a distinction out of the hat much to the surprise of her instrument teacher who was predicting a miserable fail! DG
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Thanks everyone. I have ordered the ABRSM workbooks (without the answers for now!!) and the past papers and the overview theory text book. Once I've seen what they look like I think I'll have a better idea of whether I can help enough or whether we need proper teaching...