Suits

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

doodles

Suits

Post by doodles »

Help!

DS needs a new suit for 6th form, getting one was hard enough last year when he ended up with one from m&s that he scathingly described as " something that dad would
wear" :?

Does anybody have experience of buying a suit for the larger framed teenager - trousers tend to be ok off the peg but the jackets have become a nightmare (50" chest/shoulders and long arms!). We've tried M&S again, Next and Burton.

Any ideas?
Yamin151

Re: Suits

Post by Yamin151 »

Not an issue we will ever have lol! But a quick internet Google search for

Large suit jackets big chest

Returned a healthy list of outlets, including some online which might offer something more to his taste
doodles

Post by doodles »

Thanks Yamin, I've had a good look on-line and jacamo looks quite hopeful (if expensive for a non-washable :o school suit) just wondered if anybody had any experience of anywhere as quality and cost seems to be hugely variable and postage is starting to cost me a fortune.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

http://www.slaters.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The original store in Glasgow had the reputation for being the best in Scotland.They have a number of stores around the UK including one in Birmingham.They have a postal service and free delivery for orders over £75.

Not for a school suit but for e.g for other occasions you may want to consider tailoring which in some places can be cheaper than off the peg.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I haven't looked, but if you can get the 50 inch chest from a half decent store, feel the cuffs, up to two inches can after be found as a return, this can be lowered, fabric added for the inside hem and buttons moved down by a tailor, dh has to get this done, he is 46" chest but 34" waist, so he also has to get the surplus taken in from the lower sides and back to stop it flapping about. Marks and spencers used to offer tailoring, don't know if they still do as we found a local lady now.
How much is his body shape likely to change again this year, is he still growing taller, is he likely to lose puppy fat, in which case it's probably not worth getting a really good fit, just lengthen the cuffs.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Thanks Quasimodo, I've called them and they have a couple of store near to us and we're really helpful.

Thanks SB, that's really helpful, didn't know that about the sleeves and cuffs - he tries on the jackets, holds his arms out and the cuffs are up at his elbows. Although he may grow upwards a bit there's not really any puppy fat to lose so I'm afraid that he's probably stuck with this shape poor lad - not fun at 16 when you want to look like everyone else. i hadn't thought about getting a jacket that fits on the shoulder and then having it fitted by a seamstress - I'm on to it! There is hope!!!!!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I have pm you doodles, it's no fun for them bless him, my nephew was a big tall lad until he turned 18 then he shifted another two up but lost chest, which is why I thought he may have puppy fat stil....puberty and hormones etc, I know he is a fit lad. I hope he finds something, dh spent his younger life moaning about looking like an old fart, now he is one things are much easier! :lol:
Sportsmum

Post by Sportsmum »

Next do washable suits - and you can get different "cuts" - slim fit, classic fit etc - and I believe they do jackets up to a 52 inch chest. Unfortunately you may have to order them and either have them delivered to you or to store. The really good thing is that they also do different cut of trouser too so you can have a true mix and match of size and fit! Being washable is also a wonderful boon!
doodles

Post by doodles »

Thx sportsman, the Next one arrived yesterday. The trousers were fine and jacket fitted sort of across the shoulder, but then he held his arms out and the cuffs were near his elbows and he couldn't cross his arms over his chest without the stitches creaking :?

However for anybody else looking for a washable school suit it is good quality and value for money - I think it was about £80 - nicely cut and met with teen approval. So for anybody who's slightly more, shall we say, standard in shape I'd certainly recommend.
Sportsmum

Post by Sportsmum »

Have a quick look on suitdirect.co.uk - they have some big discounts at the moment - and some jackets I note are up to and beyond 54" - I have ordered from them before - but for my clothes horse son and not my prop forward!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now