What's everyone reading at the moment?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Amber

Re: What's everyone reading at the moment?

Post by Amber »

kenyancowgirl wrote:I saw a fabulous Alternative Facts meme the other day...something along the lines of the world has gone but never mind, here is a picture of a basket of puppies....but of course it was a basket of snakes...! Made me laugh....
Of all the insane, dangerous and stupid pronouncements emanating from the inflated pink baby at the moment, I think the manipulation of 'news' is the most sinister and dangerous. The inauguration figures- 'we are saying that there were more people' and the arrests of journalists and destruction of their recordings should send shockwaves through all right-minded people. I am pleased to see a rise in circulation for satirical news sites like News Thump and Daily Mash and the continued acidic New Yorker cartoons. I hope that the freedom to lampoon and mock through satire won't be squeezed as it will ultimately, I fear, be the only weapon which works against such terrifying ignorance and bigotry. Scary times.

And in answer to the question: Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Love Newsthump and the Daily Mash - if you haven't seen thepoke.co.uk bad lip reading of the inauguration then that may raise a wry smile Amber.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

The Bad Lip Reading of the inauguration is very amusing.
As is the "The Netherlands Second" video (you can google it and find it on youtube).

I've just finished reading "Complications" by Atul Gawande. It's an excellent read (I preferred it to his "Being Mortal" which was also good) and very well written. I hope it would appeal to non-medics as well as medics.
I'm currently reading Margaret Atwood's "The Heart Goes Last".
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

loobylou wrote:The Bad Lip Reading of the inauguration is very amusing.
As is the "The Netherlands Second" video (you can google it and find it on youtube).

I've just finished reading "Complications" by Atul Gawande. It's an excellent read (I preferred it to his "Being Mortal" which was also good) and very well written. I hope it would appeal to non-medics as well as medics.
I'm currently reading Margaret Atwood's "The Heart Goes Last".

Oh yes: the stuff coming out of the Netherlands is great. We need humour now more than ever. And I second loobylou's recommendation of "The Heart Goes Last" (indeed any Margaret Atwood) and Amber's of "Miss Smilla's Feeling for Snow".

As for my own most recent choice of books, I've just read two I'd recommend: one brand new and one older. The new one is "The Watchmaker of Filigree Street" by Natasha Pulley, and the old one is "Fortune's Rocks" by Anita Shreve.
piggys

Post by piggys »

I have just finished Colson Whitehead's 'The Underground Railroad' which is fantastically good, IMO. It's not an easy read but is beautiful and savage. It's about slavery. I would really encourage people to read it.
turnip08

Post by turnip08 »

My all-time favourite is 'Count of Monte Cristo' by Dumas. I just looked it up on Good Reads - there's a reason it's one of the top rated books of all time: It's got everything, a real page turner.

Other books that have stood out for me over the last few years: Goldfinch (and the earlier book by Tartt, 'Secret History' - loved this even more), 'Where'd you go, Bernadette?' - an easy and enjoyable read. I also really enjoyed 'This Boy' by Alan Johnson.

Last, but most definitely not least, 'The Help' by Stockett. Amazing book. Highly recommend it.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Loved "The Help"...haven't seen the film version though. I haven't read the Count of Monte Cristo so will look out for that!
copella

Post by copella »

Piggys just finished the same book. Agree a very good read and typical of the subject not for the faint hearted.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

I’m partway through a light read called Eat Pray Eat by Michael Booth, a parody but it is quite amusing as he is taking a trip to India with his wife and two young sons. He’s billed as the next Bill Bryson which is not an enormous recommendation in itself in my opinion, but give you an idea that it’s in the comic travel genre if that genre exists.

I’ve recently read Bottoms up in Belgium, can’t remember the author, but it was a lot better than it sounds and only has one chapter about beer (and a very extensive tick list of beers in the print version.

Can you tell I am really in need of a holiday abroad?
um

Post by um »

I just read 'A man called Ove' and it was brilliant.
I'm about to go and order more books from the same author!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now