What's everyone reading at the moment?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JaneEyre

Re: What's everyone reading at the moment?

Post by JaneEyre »

A nice article for parents whose children has not yet discovered the pleasure of reading

Reading Is Like Breathing In; Writing Is Like Breathing Out

https://literacyworldwide.org/blog/lite ... GAQWkDAjwg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

JaneEyre wrote:A nice article for parents whose children has not yet discovered the pleasure of reading

Reading Is Like Breathing In; Writing Is Like Breathing Out

https://literacyworldwide.org/blog/lite ... GAQWkDAjwg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It was joy for us when our youngest really began to read and to read for pleasure this long hot summer at the tender age of 14.Her new tinted glasses had opened up a whole new world for her.While on holiday this summer as a result I didn't get as many distractions to conduct a physical activity one after the other.It was a more balanced holiday.

Amongst my reads was Henry Marsh's second book "Admissions" facing life after a lifetime in brain surgery.It was a lovely read which I finished in a couple of days.Not as good as his first "Do no harm" but well worth reading if you loved the first.My most vivid memory is of him as a teenager peering in through a hospital roof while underneath through the glass roof he watches an operation being performed below.Memories of a bygone era.

Another from the summer reads was Conn Iggulden's "Dunstan". I love reading his historical fiction.Set in 10th century England at the time of King Alfred's grandson King Athelstone with Dunstan by his side.I was a little disappointed with the ending but as someone who loves his happy endings that was just me.Well worth reading if you loved his books on the mongols or on the war of the roses.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
KingstonMama

Post by KingstonMama »

I'm currently reading Fingersmith by Sarah Waters. I'd meant to read it after a recommendation but accidentally downloaded Tipping the Velvet instead so I read that first. That one was rather racy but overall a good story.

Other books I've recently read include Lisa Jewell - Then She Was Gone. Easy reading and quite an intriguing plot/idea, although not that well-written.

On hols read Robert Webb's How Not to Be a Boy before that. I enjoyed it, although wished he hadn't sped up the last chapter or two to the current day. I also read The Story Keeper by Anna Mazzola.

Earlier in the year, I really enjoyed The Year of Living Danishly. I need to embrace the hygge a bit more as I normally hate winter! Must buy some candles, join some clubs and get my vitamin D started earlier haha!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I don’t read as much as I used to, but I’ve just finished The Truth about the Harry Quebert Affair, which I really enjoyed.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

heartmum wrote:
JamesDean wrote:
heartmum wrote:Harper Lee, Go set a Watchman - a gift for my birthday :)
... And???
(Still trying to find someone who's read it and can reassure me it won't spoil TKAM ...)
JD
- the jury is out until I've finished reading, so far the emotions I experienced from To Kill a Mockingbird haven't arisen yet ... we'll see!
Just found this old post - what can I say about this book, when you find yourself reading the same page over and over again as you've lost your train of thought, gone into a daze and dragged yourself to the end you know it's probably not the most gripping book ..... I can say I read it, however for me it was a no. So disappointed especially as To Kill a Mockingbird is in my top 5 books of all time list.

Roll on 2018 - as the nights are drawing in, the wood burner is on, sitting snug and cosy with a glass of red wine, I'm back into my classics ... so it's Wuthering Heights for me :)
Heartmum x x x
piggys

Post by piggys »

I recently completed 'American Rust, by Philipp Meyer which is really excellent. I'm currently reading 'My Absolute Darling' by Gabriel Tallent. It's not for the faint hearted but it's strangely beautiful.

I have just convinced my 13 year old dd to give To Kill A Mockingbird a go....hope she sticks with it!
sportsforall

Post by sportsforall »

I am trying to alternate fiction and non-fiction and have been really enjoying Tim Harford's books.

About 50 pages in to Milkman, Anna Burns and have been quickly sucked in to 1970s Northern Ireland. Waiting on the third installment of the Winternight Trilogy, having loved the first two. They are so different from anything I have read before.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Having just cleared my parents house I found The Pan Horror Stories books I read as a pre/teenager and I am reading them again. How the heck I didn't have nightmares back then is beyond me - monkey brains anyone? (Though I might have found out where my fear of spiders comes from too!)
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

I have just began Robert Harris's book "Munich" which was mentioned on one of the threads.The opening few pages have given me a new perspective on Neville Chamberlain.I appreciate he has been much maligned by previous historians.The book gives an insight (since RH does his historical research to base his novels) as to how unprepared the country was to go to war in 1938 when N... Germany invaded the Sudetanland. Had we gone to war then the pages of history may have been different.In popular history its the white flag we think of but historians considering recently revealed documents are revising his reputation for the better.Considering the man and his family did so much for Birmingham it is right his life and contributions can be considered with proper historical context.

I shall continue to read it with fascination.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now