What's everyone reading at the moment?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

piggys

Re: What's everyone reading at the moment?

Post by piggys »

Ah yes, the Narrow Road: completely brilliant , IMO. Very tough going I agree Islingtonmum. And didn't you just weep for Darkie ? :(

Some of those descriptive passages are among the best I have ever read. Hope you like Station Eleven :)
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Harper Lee, Go set a Watchman - a gift for my birthday :)
Heartmum x x x
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

heartmum wrote:Harper Lee, Go set a Watchman - a gift for my birthday :)
... And???
(Still trying to find someone who's read it and can reassure me it won't spoil TKAM ...)

JD
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Just finished "Still Alice" - really good, I was glued to it and can't stop thinking about it. On holiday I read some Santa Montefiore - "The Affair" which I enjoyed, it's a light holiday read, and "Strangers Child" by Alan Hollinghurst which was fab until two thirds in when it went off the boil a bit.
Was just about to start Book Thief, not so sure I will now!
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

JamesDean wrote:
heartmum wrote:Harper Lee, Go set a Watchman - a gift for my birthday :)
... And???
(Still trying to find someone who's read it and can reassure me it won't spoil TKAM ...)
JD
- the jury is out until I've finished reading, so far the emotions I experienced from To Kill a Mockingbird haven't arisen yet ... we'll see!
Heartmum x x x
Stokers

Post by Stokers »

Am rereading The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy. I read it when it first came out and think it's still brilliant. Very clever structure and beautifully written. The descriptions of places and emotions are stunning, at times.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

I was disappointed by The Book Thief too.

Great idea to re-read The God of Small Things, Stokers; I must dig it out.

I read far too many books and don't tend to retain all titles and authors' names, even the ones, irritatingly, that I love so much I want to recommend. Because I get all my books from the library I can't easily go back to check.

But because I've just finished The Missing by Tim Gautreaux it's still in the house. An adventure set in 1920s Louisiana, both the concept and the use of language are just stunning. It's a tale essentially about trying to live your life without revenge and it really is unputdownable.
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

Agree about The Book Thief. Thought it was OK but didn't really live up to all the hype for me.

I recently read "You" by Caroline Kepnes which my wife picked up on a whim at the airport and I would recommend it.

Without giving too much away its about a stalker in modern day New York. Interesting thing is its told from the stalkers point of view which I found fascinating and you find yourself sympathising with him even though he's a psychopath.

In turns its dark, disturbing, and funny and has lots of pop culture references including Facebook and Twitter and I found it a real page turner. Warning though, it can be quite crude and explicit so not one for children or the prudish.
tense

Post by tense »

I've just finished reading 'Us' by David Nicholls. It's the first of his books I've read. It made me laugh out loud - and cry. Most disconcerting on the commute. Beautifully observed story of a floundering marriage & a man's relationship with his teenage son. Loved it.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

loving this thread...thanks OP!

Just finished reading Oleander Girl by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni. I had to ration it otherwise I could have devoured it in one go. I love all her books her writing style is so descriptive and evocative
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now