What's everyone reading at the moment?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Proud_Dad

Re: What's everyone reading at the moment?

Post by Proud_Dad »

tense wrote:I've just finished reading 'Us' by David Nicholls. It's the first of his books I've read. It made me laugh out loud - and cry. Most disconcerting on the commute. Beautifully observed story of a floundering marriage & a man's relationship with his teenage son. Loved it.
Haven't read 'Us' yet but sounds good.

So presumably you've never read 'One Day' also by David Nicholls? One of my favourite ever books and sounds kind of similar in that it will make you both laugh and cry. Follows the lives of a guy and girl from uni graduation in the late 80's thru the 90's and noughties into middle age focussing on the same date every year.

(Try to avoid watyching the movie or reading reviews before you read it as it works best if you don't know the ending.)
tense

Post by tense »

Thanks Proud_Dad - have just ordered 'One Day' & am very much looking forward to reading it.
piggys

Post by piggys »

'One Day' is brilliant. Just don't watch the film version, which is truly awful :lol:
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Another big up for Nicholls, deffo gives hornby and Parsons a run for their money.

Parsons has this year swapped genre to detective, I love a good detective novel so my favourite genre mixed with his skilful writing seemed perfect on paper. I seized the opportunity and have to say I am very impressed, they are a bit grizzly and graphic rather than cosy crime, but very fast paced and have the usual Parsons human empathy thing going on.
Daffy

Post by Daffy »

I'm reading Jude The Obscure and really enjoying it. Hardy's are known to be hard going but I am finding this easier than I thought (although definitely challenging in parts). Wanted to go back to the classics since beginning the 11+ journey and glad I have. Before Jude I finished 'Rebecca'. Slow in places and took a long time to finish but a great plot twist! My favourite book of all time has to be 'Catcher In The Rye'.

My DD has really been enjoying The Sherlock Holmes mysteries. I have too and we have been reading them together. Really intriguing stories. Wish we'd started them earlier.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Am reading the Book Thief , but finding it quite difficult to get into. Just finished Moving by Jenny Eclair and loved it.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

After listening. Them talk about her on womans hour, I've started a Barbara Vine run. Did you know she is Ruth Rendell?expect everyone did except me, lol
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Any of the Georgette Heyer novels set in Georgian England are fab too. Yes they are relatively predictable old-fashioned romantic novels in which the girl always gets her man, but the journey along the way is so meticulously well-observed historically and the language often so witty that you can ignore the limitations of the genre and just enjoy the writing. So many of her heroines are beautifully observed, vivid characters and you really gain an understanding of late 18th-century London life.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

southbucks3 wrote:Another big up for Nicholls, deffo gives hornby and Parsons a run for their money.

Parsons has this year swapped genre to detective, I love a good detective novel so my favourite genre mixed with his skilful writing seemed perfect on paper. I seized the opportunity and have to say I am very impressed, they are a bit grizzly and graphic rather than cosy crime, but very fast paced and have the usual Parsons human empathy thing going on.

"Cosy crime", love that!! Definitely more Midsomer Murders/Morse than Prime Suspect. Actually, in books that's true but in fact I love all of those on t v
Eccentric

Post by Eccentric »

The gift of failure is a really interesting read http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1881 ... of-failure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;