What's everyone reading at the moment?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
silverysea

Re: What's everyone reading at the moment?

Post by silverysea »

Still stuck on Black Box Thinking. Maybe I should give up.

:oops:

I read lots by Chaim Potok and really liked them. Recently got The Periodic Table by Primo Levi to re-read but didn't get into it that easily yet.

My eyesight is really impacting my reading, I never thought I would stop reading for pleasure.

I will try some others of these, thanks for this thread OP and contributors.
mad?

Post by mad? »

I've been re-reading and thoroughly enjoying Frankopan's The Silk Roads which I have found fascinating. Sadly, I am going to have to interrupt it to re-read The Bell Jar as DD2 keeps asking me questions about it for a piece of comparative work she is doing for A2 and I confess I have NO IDEA what she is on about. I am hoping this is due my my ailing memory rather than her having gone off on a nutty and over imaginative tangent (the other book is Gatsby and somehow Trump and Clinton have got involved...). What I do remember is that I loathed Bell Jar first time round (sacrilege I know). Grump.
mad?
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

This post is for those who are crazy about books and literature in general. ( Waving to you all! :D )

As you may know, there will soon be the Cheltenham Literary Festival. Here is your chance to win Cheltenham Literary Festival Tickets and the Signed Man Booker Shortlist:
https://www.waterstones.com/competition ... tenham0710" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck with the draw! :wink:
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

This is a lovely quiz, but very very looooooooooooooooooong! :shock:

QUIZ: CAN YOU GUESS THE CLASSIC BOOK FROM THE MAIN CHARACTER'S NAME?
http://offbeat.topix.com/quiz/17676/qidx1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
piggys

Post by piggys »

Haha, of course I just had to take the quiz. I got two wrong though - although in my defence they were questions about pop fiction (the Mockingjay books etc which I don't really regard as literature although maybe that sounds a bit pompous)- some goodies though.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

DS has just been given Animal Farm to study in English so I thought I had better give it a go (I have avoided it all my life because animals and death just don't work for me; I can't even listen to Puff The Magic Dragon without crying :lol: ).

Anyway, I have just finished it and I am torn - on the one hand I enjoyed how it simplifies communism and the relationships between the countries, but on the other hand I really wish I hadn't read it because it is so sad.

I am now moving on to "1984" which is another book I haven't read, thanks to library books being online nowadays :-)
Stokers

Post by Stokers »

Have just finished 'Alone in Berlin' by Hans Fallada - a heart-rending tale of life in **** Berlin and how two people's efforts to oppose the tyranny and brutality had tragic repercussions for them and their circle of friends and family. Not a holiday read (!) but beautiful, tragic and life affirming all at the same time.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Great quiz JaneEyre, though I think with all the picture clues it is more a test of how many films you have watched :-)

And Piggys, you really should give the Mockingjay books a go as they are quite good page-turners!
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

BucksBornNBred wrote:though I think with all the picture clues it is more a test of how many films you have watched :-)
:lol:
BucksBornNBred wrote: DS has just been given Animal Farm to study in English so I thought I had better give it a go [...] I am now moving on to "1984"
While you are at reading Orwell's books, may I suggest you to read also this article (just 10 pages):
Politics and the English Language
http://www.npr.org/blogs/ombudsman/Poli ... uage-1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is particularly relevant during these American political elections... and political elections in general. :(

edited to correct a stupid spelling mistake :roll:
Last edited by JaneEyre on Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Thanks for the link JaneEyre .. eeek, it is 10 pages long so I will read it tomorrow; the first few lines have piqued my interest :-)