What's everyone reading at the moment?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BucksBornNBred

Re: What's everyone reading at the moment?

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Thanks for the link JaneEyre .. eeek, it is 10 pages long so I will read it tomorrow; the first few lines have piqued my interest :-)
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

JaneEyre wrote:
BucksBornNBred wrote:though I think with all the picture clues it is more a test of how many films you have watched :-)
:lol:
BucksBornNBred wrote: DS has just been given Animal Farm to study in English so I thought I had better give it a go [...] I am now moving on to "1984"
While you are at reading Orwell's books, may I suggest you to read also this article (just 10 pages):
Politics and the English Language
http://www.npr.org/blogs/ombudsman/Poli ... uage-1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is particularly relevant during these American political elections... and political elections in general. :(

edited to correct a stupid spelling mistake :roll:
That was not uninteresting ;-) In some ways it explains why Trump gained so much popularity during his campaign as he spoke plain English unlike his opponents.

Now, back to 1984...
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

BucksBornNBred wrote:Now, back to 1984...
From what I remember 1984 is quite a difficult read speaking from over 25 years ago.

If you have just read Animal Farm then Homage to Catolonia would give you a much better insight into the experiences of the young George Orwell in the Spanish Civil war. The Communists were supposed to have been on his side against Franco's forces but ended up betraying the Republican cause.It gives you an understanding of the way Animal farm is written which is a very good reflection of the two revolutions in Russia in 1917 and the optimism under leaders like Lenin and Trotsky and the betrayal of those ideals under Stalin with the repressive policies which followed leading to the deaths of millions of Russians.

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."This phrase from Animal farm represented Russia in 1917 and still represents Russia now.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

quasimodo wrote:
From what I remember 1984 is quite a difficult read speaking from over 25 years ago.
I disagree; it is gripping and so well written, the words just float from the page :-)
quasimodo wrote:If you have just read Animal Farm then Homage to Catolonia would give you a much better insight into the experiences of the young George Orwell in the Spanish Civil war. The Communists were supposed to have been on his side against Franco's forces but ended up betraying the Republican cause.It gives you an understanding of the way Animal farm is written which is a very good reflection of the two revolutions in Russia in 1917 and the optimism under leaders like Lenin and Trotsky and the betrayal of those ideals under Stalin with the repressive policies which followed leading to the deaths of millions of Russians.

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."This phrase from Animal farm represented Russia in 1917 and still represents Russia now.
I have never had much interest in that part of history but if I can get a simple feel for it through Orwell, then that has to be a good thing. So, based on your recommendation, that will be my next read :-) I am a bit obsessive when it comes to authors and usually end up reading everything they have produced if I enjoy their style. I think Oscar Wilde is still my favourite author, though Charles Dickens and Jane Austen come a close joint second!
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

BucksBornNBred wrote:
quasimodo wrote:
I disagree; it is gripping and so well written, the words just float from the page :-)
quasimodo wrote:If you have just read Animal Farm then Homage to Catolonia would give you a much better insight into the experiences of the young George Orwell in the Spanish Civil war. The Communists were supposed to have been on his side against Franco's forces but ended up betraying the Republican cause.It gives you an understanding of the way Animal farm is written which is a very good reflection of the two revolutions in Russia in 1917 and the optimism under leaders like Lenin and Trotsky and the betrayal of those ideals under Stalin with the repressive policies which followed leading to the deaths of millions of Russians.

I have never had much interest in that part of history but if I can get a simple feel for it through Orwell, then that has to be a good thing. So, based on your recommendation, that will be my next read :-) I am a bit obsessive when it comes to authors and usually end up reading everything they have produced if I enjoy their style. I think Oscar Wilde is still my favourite author, though Charles Dickens and Jane Austen come a close joint second!
I am glad you are enjoying it.I recall beginning to read it and not getting past a few pages.It lies on my bookshelf somewhere I think I may try again now I am much older maybe wiser. :)
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Do try it again, quasimodo :-) I guess it all depends on what style of writing works for you but I just want to keep reading it. Thankfully it is onscreen so I can read it while I am still doing all those mundane jobs like the ironing (though the hoovering has been put on the back burner :lol: )
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

(anecdote)

When Charles Dickens & Edgar Allan Poe Met, and Dickens’ Pet Raven Inspired Poe’s Poem “The Raven”

http://www.openculture.com/2016/10/char ... e-met.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

I have been watching Sleths, Spies & Sorcerers: Andrew Marr's Paperback Heroes on bbc 4. It is interesting as he tries to look for the common parts in all of the genres from the earliest versions through to now and how the genre changes.

Interesting to see how many of the books I have read are discussed over the 2 episodes so far, last one is next Monday.
Waynetta

Post by Waynetta »

I enjoy collections of short stories unlike DH who gets very sniffy about them..

Just finished a collection by Charles Beaumont who was writing in the '50's "Perchance to Dream" and others but there are several various collections. If you like Ray Bradbury, Aldous Huxley etc you'll like this -he wrote several episodes of the Twilight Zone too

Waynetta
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

This quizz is too hard for me, but some of you may like it! :wink:

FAMOUS LAST LINES IN NOVELS QUIZ
What writer doesn’t yearn to leave his or her readers clinging to every final word? Can you identify these novels from their famous last lines?

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/ ... i600004551" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now