What's everyone reading at the moment?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

doodles

Re: What's everyone reading at the moment?

Post by doodles »

I scored much better on the Famous First Lines of Nivels quiz :lol: :lol:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

“Sometimes when I look at you, I feel I'm gazing at a distant star.
It's dazzling, but the light is from tens of thousands of years ago.
Maybe the star doesn't even exist any more. Yet sometimes that light seems more real to me than anything.”

This is a quote from Haruki Murakami, "South of the Border, West of the Sun".The second book of his which I have just finished.A story about love and loss. Intricately woven, demonstrating how when one persons love moves on or dissipates for genuine and innocent reasons sometimes tragic consequences can arise.

I have bought two others of his waiting to be read.Like some others once I like an author I like to read much of what they have written.I am enjoying being transported to Japan in my imagination a country I have never visited.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Only ten quotes to read so this quiz is not too long, which is rather nice

How Many Of These Book Quotes Do You Recognise?

https://www.buzzfeed.com/h2/fbaf/audibl ... yoa6KddGJG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Several years have passed since I read A Christmas Carol by Dickens... and I am all disappointed to realise that there are several details that I have forgotten. :(

Enjoy the quiz! It s a lovely one with 32 questions! :D

A CHRISTMAS CAROL: QUIZ ON THE CHRISTMAS CLASSIC
Journey back to 1843 and test your knowledge of one of the most famous classic Christmas stories. How well do you remember the tale? Take this quiz and test your memory.

https://www.zoo.com/quiz/a-christmas-ca ... edium=paid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The Red Queen, about Margaret Beaufort. Who,I have just found out, is my ancestor!
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

( article for those who do not dislike reading Dicken's work)

BEYOND EXPECTATIONS: REREADING DICKENS
http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultur ... ng-dickens" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

BucksBornNBred wrote:Do try it again, quasimodo :-) I guess it all depends on what style of writing works for you but I just want to keep reading it. Thankfully it is onscreen so I can read it while I am still doing all those mundane jobs like the ironing (though the hoovering has been put on the back burner :lol: )
Quasimodo, after Mr Trump's election, you cannot procrastinate anynore to read 1984 by Geroge Orwell! :wink: (My tone is teasing :mrgreen: ). My remark follows the surge of sales of this novel as explained in this article ( though I prefer by far the article published in Le Figaro):

Sales of George Orwell's 1984 surge after Kellyanne Conway's 'alternative facts'

Comments made by Donald Trump’s adviser have been compared to the classic dystopian novel, pushing it to become the sixth best-selling book on Amazon
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/ ... tive-facts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
piggys

Post by piggys »

As soon as I heard Kellyanne Conway utter this ludicrous comment I remarked to dh that it reminded me of doublethink - I mean what on earth is an 'alternative fact'? An 'alternative fact' is no more or less impossible than O' Brien's assertion that 2 + 2 = 5.

In '1984', history is continuously being revised and rewritten so that nobody is sure of anything anymore. Real power is "a boot, stamping on a human face forever" (a line which I have never forgotten). Books are banned and language is reduced more and more so that the ability to think and formulate ideas and opinions is diminished every day. So for example the superlatives of 'good' - like marvellous, wonderful, outstanding, exceptional and so on - are eradicated. The new (and only) superlative is 'doubleplusgood'. Similarly the superlative of 'bad' becomes 'doubleplusungood'. Orwell called it 'Newspeak'. It's a bit like Trump's administration via Twitter in 140 characters don't you think? The writing is on the wall.

I heard a brilliant American political analyst on R4 the other day, whose name escapes me. He referred to an "attention deficit" administration run by an "attention deficit President". This struck me as accurate. Welcome to the world of Newspeak and Alternative Facts. :(
Last edited by piggys on Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I saw a fabulous Alternative Facts meme the other day...something along the lines of the world has gone but never mind, here is a picture of a basket of puppies....but of course it was a basket of snakes...! Made me laugh....
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

kenyancowgirl wrote:I saw a fabulous Alternative Facts meme the other day...something along the lines of the world has gone but never mind, here is a picture of a basket of puppies....but of course it was a basket of snakes...! Made me laugh....
:lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now