Anyone watching School Swap?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Yamin151

Anyone watching School Swap?

Post by Yamin151 »

3 pupils plus head from fairly average secondary, swapping with three pupils at Warminster.
The public school head seems to think that it's the extra curricular that gives private school pupils the edge (if such an edge exists).

It's clunky, but I'm sure obviously that vs an average non selective secondary, a private school, and I deed a grammar school is always going to produce more of the high flying professionals, but surely this is mainly down to selection, either by interview, exam or both, in the public/GS system?

One thing that does stand out though, is the insistence on discipline and standards, which the head and the pupils are admitting is not the same in the state school they a from, and a resultant pride in the school which possibly makes for a more confident and rounded individual on leaving. This is a position not solely the public and GS benefit to impart, but those in a secondary that doesn't insist on this possibly have to be more self driven to achieve it.......?

Interesting.
kenyancowgirl

Re: Anyone watching School Swap?

Post by kenyancowgirl »

There is a thread on this already:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 38&t=43280" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I thought it was distinctly underwhelming in the first episode but was pleased they offered Brett a place at Warminster at the end of the second. He was the child who would absolutely have benefitted the most from it as he was the one who came from a family who didn't already value education and he could see, in a week, how it could help him - and he wanted to be there. Sadly, the fact that two weeks before the new year starts, the phrase "his family are considering his future" I suspect that they will not take up the place but I hope I am wrong.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Yes I thought I exactly the same thing.
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

The latest on the school place offered to Brett

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/School- ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

For those who wanted a happy ending to the programme.....

http://www.warminsterschool.org.uk/news ... ett-riley/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Really glad for him.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Very pleased for him - it has obviously been a difficult decision with the announcement coming so close to term start.
LostInTheShuffle

Post by LostInTheShuffle »

Such great news. His transformation from a disengaged student to one who began to yearn for a great deal more from his education was remarkable. I am really glad his family was supportive - I was worried that they would see private education as "not for us" and forgo the opportunity.