Train travel post age 16.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
franticmum

Train travel post age 16.

Post by franticmum »

My daughter turns 16 this school year and it looks like we're going to have to pay adult rail season ticket prices thereon. From my browsing, it appears that all the discount cards, such as 16-25 railcard are only effective off-peak.

Anyone know of any other offers/discounts which I am missing? Seems a bit unfair as they are clearly not adults and yet still in full-time education.

Thanks.
ToadMum

Re: Train travel post age 16.

Post by ToadMum »

franticmum wrote:My daughter turns 16 this school year and it looks like we're going to have to pay adult rail season ticket prices thereon. From my browsing, it appears that all the discount cards, such as 16-25 railcard are only effective off-peak.

Anyone know of any other offers/discounts which I am missing? Seems a bit unfair as they are clearly not adults and yet still in full-time education.

Thanks.
Which area are you in?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

Southeastern Trains.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

franticmum wrote:Southeastern Trains.
That's a shame - if your DD was at any of the Southend or Essex grammars or certain colleges in the region, she would be able to get a Scholars Season Ticket, which gives about 55% off the adult rate. I think this may be unique to Essex, unfortunately.

The issue with the 16-25 railcard is fare-related as much as time. It can be used before 10am but only if the fare is at least £12. The discount applies to any fare in July and August, though - useful for general trogging around but less so for school in year 11 or 13.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

Yes, the 16-25 only covers after 10 am which is a nonsense for regular travel use. Perhaps that's the point, that its use is very limited.

I thought there were some other areas with deals so thanks for looking for me anyway.
solimum

Post by solimum »

In the West Midlands you can buy a 16-18 pass to continue travelling at the child fare while still in full-time education

http://www.networkwestmidlands.com/Tick ... _FAQs.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are student offers too... http://centro.org.uk/about-us/news/2014 ... -students/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nice to know there are some perks to living here!
solimum

Post by solimum »

Check whether the local authority has a similar scheme - it may be restricted to buses and/or only if she attends her nearest sixth form provision but worth looking anyway
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

And if applies to southeastern please let the forum know! I have just paid full price for the season ticket to school and bought a student card for all other train travel.
solimum

Post by solimum »

There's something in Sussex https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/education ... dent-card/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like Kent and Medway are bus only

I think there's a similar scheme in the area covered by Oyster so in some cases it might be worth splitting a fare and buying separate season tickets inside and outside the TfL zone

16-18 travel subsidies are I think a discretionary part of Local authority spending
solimum

Post by solimum »

You can check schemes in your own area here https://www.gov.uk/subsidised-college-transport-16-19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now