Cushioned school shoes for girls

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mad?

Re: Cushioned school shoes for girls

Post by mad? »

Have a look at the hush puppies range on the shuh website. Some nice 'junior' brogues very on trend and I think most of the hush puppies have cushioned soles.
mad?
RajeevKumar

Post by RajeevKumar »

As what I did with my DS, use sports / running shoes for walking and then change it at school as per uniform norm.
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

Thanks all some really good advice from all of you (I love this forum).

We are going shopping for shoes on Saturday so will make sure we check out all the brands and heel heights mentioned here, also RajeevKumar, she will be doing just what you suggested re trainers to and from school, from now. She did it today after she went back to school after the GP and she said it felt better and she didnt have any pain. I will makes sure she does her stretches as well, so hopefully we can get rid of any lingering pain quickly.

I really really appreciate all your input and can't thank you enough for responding.

:D
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

If you haven't already have a look at adult shoes too, my 10yr old DD is the same size as me. I hate shopping for girls' school shoes, most are no good for running or being out in the rain.

Hope your daughter finds something suitable.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

RajeevKumar wrote:As what I did with my DS, use sports / running shoes for walking and then change it at school as per uniform norm.
I would speak to the school about doing this - most schools have a 'full uniform both at school and to and from school' rule on uniform (with bad weather / health needs provisos). The uniform is part of the public face of the school. Most schools would be sympathetic where a child has problems with their feet, one would hope, but might draw the line at trainers in 'fashion' colours, say.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I had PF and had physio/ultrasound to sort it out. I threw away loads of ill fitting shoes after that and now wear good trainers with heat moulded insoles (from sweatshop) almost all of the time. I walk the dogs 3 miles each morning in proper walking books with silicone inserts then swap to trainers once I get back and start work. I haven't had a recurrence of pF since.
Mehere

Post by Mehere »

You might also want to consider Start-Rite shoes.

My DD has just started secondary and also has a long walk. She has flat feet and has been wearing hospital provided inserts for years. When she was smaller, Clarks shoes were fine but as she grew out of the infant/junior range, the inserts were too tall and showed at the side of the shoes. The only suitable school shoes we could find (that fitted comfortably) were Start-Rite and thankfully DD liked them. They are much more sturdy than Clarks and have a small heel which really seems to help. We have been using Start-Rite for a couple of years now and buying school shoes is no longer something that fills me with dread.

Good Luck in your search
modernista

Post by modernista »

I think the school would allow black trainers
um

Post by um »

Dd wears orthotics (as does dc4). Does your daughter have very flat feet?

Our referral to orthotics has taken one year (we have an appointment in a few weeks, having gone on waiting list at the start of Year 7) so in the meantime we saw a private orthotist and have purchased insoles for her online which have helped hugely.
That said, Birmingham NHS tend to have long waiting lists for everything.
We also realised after a month of pain that the shoes she was wearing (Mary-Jane style) were making things worse and we had to buy lace-ups which offer much more support around her foot and ankle.
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

I feel sorry for parents of girls when it coems to shoes.

Many boys' school shoes these days are effectively black leather trainers which are ideal for the active lifestyle of a child and yet still smart enough to be acceptable as a school "shoe".

Girls' shoes on the otherhand, even from a very young age, still seem to be in the style of traditional "shoes". Some are more comfortable and sturdy than others but none really would be as suitable as the modern boy's styles for running around in or walking long distances in wet weather.

So for boys their shoes are designed with the functionality and comfort suitable for an active child but for girls the message seems to be that style and looks are more important. Isn't there something fundamentally wrong with that philosophy?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now