Cushioned school shoes for girls

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

coolmum123

Cushioned school shoes for girls

Post by coolmum123 »

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some guidance please.

My DD started secondary school this month and is having to do a lot more walking. she is now complaining about heel pain so I have come to the conclusion that her shoes are not the best for so much walking (flat sole, no cushioning) so I need to get some more shoes for her which fit the uniform criteria (black leather) but which are cushioned in order to ease her pain. To top it all off she has to wear insoles as she has flat feet so this hasn't helped th situation.

Can anyone recommend any cushioned school shoes for girls which have been tried and tested please?

Many thanks

Ps we have been to the GP and he said that it was aggravated by the lack of cushioning in her shoes.
ToadMum

Re: Cushioned school shoes for girls

Post by ToadMum »

If her special insoles can go on top of normal ones, the gel ones from Sports Direct (purple for women's sizes) are very good.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Heel pain could also be something call Severs. The chiropodist mentioned that GPs don't always know what it is.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sever%27s_disease" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My DD had it when she was having a major growth spurt. We found cushioned insoles helped a lot. Also avoided letting her go barefoot. We bought plimsolls so she could still have the insoles indoors and for PE if they are meant to be barefoot. Her dance teacher was understanding and let her do ballet in alternative shoes so again she had the insoles.

If she already has insoles for flat feet, I guess these are the ortho type. (Is she under the care of a chiropodist or similar? If so I'd ask for their opinion on the heel pain) You should be able to get ones that combine the cushioning with the arch support needed. It might be that the two issues are connected.
marigold

Post by marigold »

Hi,

Middle DD had a long walk to school and needed sturdy cushioned shoes so we went with M and S Footgloves. Not the most glam but they certainly lasted well and were very comfortable.
My eldest is a nurse and wears a pair of Clarkes shoes from their Somerset range which are cushioned and are slightly more fashionable, they are T bar style and look a bit like DM's. She says they are the most comfortable of all those she has tried so far.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

coolmum123 wrote: she has to wear insoles as she has flat feet so this hasn't helped th situation.
Ps we have been to the GP and he said that it was aggravated by the lack of cushioning in her shoes.
My eldest dd has had problems with flat feet for a number of years we got the GP to make a referral to a podiatrist and they designed the insoles to be worn in any shoes to take away the pressure and the pain.Podiatrists are available on the NHS in all areas which is where we went or privately.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
coolmum123

Post by coolmum123 »

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies.

She goes to see a podiatrist at our local hospital, we go regularly as they need to check that the insoles still fit. She has never complained of heel pain before and she has had the insoles for over 3 years. The GP said thT it was Plantar Fasciitis and that it should go, but as its in the acute phase she can't go barefoot at home and has stretches that she needs to do. I think it is more to do with the amount of walking she has to do. I have some gel insoles so we will see if both insoles can fit together comfortably in her shoe for now but I 'm concerned that it will flare up again if we stick to the same shoes, that's why I was after some recommendations on cushioned shoes.

Thanks again for all your responses they have been most helpful.
doodles

Post by doodles »

As a fellow plantar fasciitis sufferer I would recommend a small heel or wedge. I have an array of beautifully coloured flat pumps and can no longer wear them, as soon as I go into flats the pain returns, a very small heel alleviates it completely.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I second that! (Although my plantar fasciitis appears in the arch of my foot more than the heel) I have been told by my physic that I should only ever wear perfectly flat shoes very briefly (and preferably not at all) but a low heel is actually the best. If she hasn't already been told, standing up and applying gentle pressure as she rolls her foot over a tin of beans can help!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I'm a another PF sufferer, which is what I though DD had too, but apparently not. I'd check with the podiatrist since she is already seeing one.

Ortho insoles and some compression sock type things (Google FS6 for you fellow sufferers, I absolutely swear by them. Not even a sign of relapse since I started using them) keep mine at bay. I walk a fair bit, 3 miles or so, every day.

I was also told a small heel was good. Flat shoes not good.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Two sets of insoles are unlikely to work as the depth is likely to lift her heel too far out of the back of her shoe leading to slipping of the shoe. It might work in a boot but unlikely in a school shoe.
I would request an urgent review of her insoles with the podiatrist or an orthotist, as they may be able to change them to something that would help both problems.