Board game suggestions?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
silverysea

Re: Board game suggestions?

Post by silverysea »

Loving this thread. “Who knows where” looks fab! That’s going on my wish list.

In defence of RISK, I got this for DH and his family for Xmas this year as we had all played it a lot many moons ago (before we came across “nicer” games) and he had a “lads” night out with his brothers and friends, with dd1 as honorary lad. She beat the pants off them, callous little ****. It definitely suits a certain competitive megalomaniac streak. Normally she hides it well...

We sadly only play games on holidays, dd2 doesn’t like them in general and we otherwise don’t have enough players or time. Easter weekend was spent in a remote cottage with a selection of games but we 3 willing players ended up mostly playing with a really nice set of dominos, in the evenings after dd1 studied all day for her A levels, by the fire. Bliss!
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Hi all

Quick question - do people play Linkee using the 'traditional' game or using the app version? Which is better?

Thanks!
Islandmom

Post by Islandmom »

Cadoo for the young ‘uns. Not quite “board game” but you won’t get bored. What happened to dominoes?!
WaitingStM4077

Post by WaitingStM4077 »

Just found this thread and love it. Want to add my 2p
Linkee, Ticket to Ride, Dobble and Azul.
StM4077
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Two new games to us recently...
Dominion - completely brilliant and addictive but doesn't take hours
and
Seven Wonders Duel (two person game based on three game Seven Wonders which we've not played) - really clever and again quite fast (and lots of strategy to try and win).
We also got given Obama Llama for Christmas which isn't quite our sort of game but still fun.
proudmumwhatever

Post by proudmumwhatever »

Settlers is my long term favourite, I've even played a space version with rockets and boosters.

+1 for code names, ticket to ride, risk, carcasonne, I still like pictionary and it's play dough equivalent, Rapido.

I also want to add another vote for Dixit as being a great game if you have visitors who don't usually like games, very quick to learn and much more artsy than most games.

My last recommendation is 'exploding kittens', fabulously surreal and good for a very wide age range (although some will think the 'adult' edition a step too far, so check which version you are ordering). It is a card game so good for travelling.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

I hate games with complicated rules that take ages to read, explain to everyone else and then you have to keep referring back to!

Any good suggestions for games without such rules?!
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

I recommend Sequence as a combination card/board game. Can be played by individual players or as teams. Have to concentrate but quite simple rules. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Winning-Moves- ... B0013SW7YK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We also like phase 10 card game https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mattel-Phase-1 ... ase&sr=8-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (be prepared to play all night).
And for a giggle Deer in headlights. https://www.amazon.co.uk/University-Gam ... way&sr=8-6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;