Board game suggestions?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
booellesmum

Re: Board game suggestions?

Post by booellesmum »

Was going to suggest Pandemic as well - really great cooperative game.
Also 221b Baker Street - the Sherlock Holmes game.
onebigdilemma

Post by onebigdilemma »

Excellent, thank you that is Christmas sorted!! :lol:
doodles

Post by doodles »

Don't forget to teach them to play backgammon, othello, chess and cribbage. Mine love all of these as well as the more popular board games.

I'm going to look into some of the "new" suggestions mentioned for Christmas, any particular recommendations for slightly older (16 + 13 yo) boys?
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

doodles wrote:Don't forget to teach them to play backgammon, othello, chess and cribbage. Mine love all of these as well as the more popular board games.

I'm going to look into some of the "new" suggestions mentioned for Christmas, any particular recommendations for slightly older (16 + 13 yo) boys?
All the ones I've put are equally enjoyable for adults as children. Possibly at more complex level but not in any way youngster games, though family friendly. Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride in particular are faves for dh and I to play on our own, esp on camping hols!
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

I'd add Settlers of Catan to the list too. And we're big fans of Ticket to Ride, Dixit, Forbidden Island, etc. Germany has a "Spiel des Jahres" award for high-quality games. You'll find its seal/ symbol on lots of these boxes.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

I'd add Risk to the list too.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I really really hate most board games and start longing for the end very shortly after the start.
Boys seem keen on risk though.
I will happily play crib as long as the opposition isn't too smart. :wink: I also love scrabble, but feel it has been ruined by everyone's recent familiarity with obscure two letter words as taught by the app.
I do participate in risk.......as I pass by I stand all their little men and horses upright when the boys are too lazy to bother,, does that count towards sharing quality time with my family?
The most frustrating game ever played was a seemingly unsolvable game of cluedo, it transpired my son had forgotten to put the murderer in the envelope! :evil:
I recently came across a site that made and sold charm bracelets and jewellery from antique game pieces, I am sorely tempted to do this with my mum's ancient old monopoly game, but know the moment I did the boys would want to play for the first time in two years!
Pass the pigs is my favourite portable game, purely for the absolute cuteness of it and the ludicrous way a player will whoop into raptures of delight when a piggy land on all fours!
I shall see if the gang want a new strategy game for chrimbo from your recommendations though, thank you for the inspiration loobylou.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

I hate Cluedo with a passion. My children love it, but know if I'm asked to play I may need to find a candlestick. :wink:
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Thanks everyone! What a lot of fab ideas. We are off to Cornwall for 1/2 term so I might buy us a family "holiday present" - I think I'm going to go for Carcassone or Ticket to Ride first of all....
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Not a board game but we love Set card game.

Q-bitz is good too.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now