Board game suggestions?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
southbucks3

Re: Board game suggestions?

Post by southbucks3 »

doodles wrote:Bought the old favourite Risk as ours got destroyed a few years ago.
Via frustrated loser, Hoover or animal?
doodles

Post by doodles »

:D

Water!
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Many thanks to those who suggested Ticket to ride. Went down very well in our house yesterday. We had friends with us who hadn't met before. Played in teams of two and was enjoyed by all.None had played it before.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

We have a large family: five children and six grandchildren plus spouses so we play a lot of games with teams. We love Go for Broke which is the opposite of Monopoly, you have to lose all your money and the winner is the first person to have nothing left. We also play Articulate a lot which I think is really great for all players, young and old to be able to explain things to others!

We got a new game this Christmas called Linkee where you have a series of questions and then you have to link the answers together which is very like odd one out Verbal CEM!

Just like CEM players get better very quickly and you can make a guess before the questions are finished as to what the link is. If you are wrong you are out for that round.

We will be playing it again today as it works really well with mixed age groups as there is something for everyone. It also works really well with large teams which is what we have all the time.

I will be recommending it for parents as a great fun way for their students to get quicker at this type of reasoning.

What is play and what is work? Articulate and Linkee are excellent teaching aids and last night in Trivial Pursuit there were several questions I could answer because of recent CEM Cloze passages on them. My team won because DAO went CEM this year. No doubt about that! DG
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

We love Taboo, with big groups of mixed ages - because it works well like that too - (it is basically speed synonyms!!)
salsa

Post by salsa »

Great idea Daogroupie,
I can see there is an Linkee app. Has anyone tried it?
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

Bumblebeez wrote: Blokus is a quick but clever game.
Yes, Blokus is great. DD played it as a pre-schooler, but it still challenges adults too. Nice pieces, very simple and pretty quick.

We also have Qwirkle, good fun.

Glad to hear that those new to Ticket to Ride enjoyed it. We played Carcassonne tonight. Happy holidays! :)
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

We got Ticket to Ride and Quirkle for Christmas.
Ticket to Ride is brilliant!
(Also enjoying Quirkle a lot).
Stokers

Post by Stokers »

Played Ticket To Ride for the first time today - brilliant! Love the way the dynamic of the game changes when all of the destination tickets have been picked. Played with an 9 year old, 10 year old and 13 year old (plus DH and me) and we all enjoyed it thoroughly.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Great to see all the fans of Ticket to Ride.

You're in for an expensive passion - we have NINE different versions now!!!! We love it!