Board game suggestions?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

J50

Re: Board game suggestions?

Post by J50 »

We do like Catan which I bought at Xmas. Look it up, it's German in origin. Seems quite complicated at first but once you get going it's fine.

P.oker as suggested above is going well for DS also. Didn't take him long to work it out and he started using PokerStars play money. I paid a few dollars for him to play on line in 'Sit & go' one table tournaments and he's just won four of these in a row, netting me $40. :D
ConfusedFather

Post by ConfusedFather »

Kids now loving Munchkins. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munchkin_(card_game" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
It's a card game mixed with RPG with a bit of humour.
Only thing they are struggling with is the need to be backstabbing bastards :lol:
yellowdawg

Post by yellowdawg »

I've just had to suffer my first game of Risk with OH, DD and DS. Frankly, I wanted to binge on "The Crown" but was outvoted. It took 45 minutes to actually get the game started as OH tried to explain the rules and then went on for another 2 hours..as DS cleared the board of my troops with a disproportionate amount of glee.. Does it get any better or should I make it "disappear" out of the house when the boys aren't around??
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

yellowdawg wrote:I've just had to suffer my first game of Risk with OH, DD and DS. Frankly, I wanted to binge on "The Crown" but was outvoted. It took 45 minutes to actually get the game started as OH tried to explain the rules and then went on for another 2 hours..as DS cleared the board of my troops with a disproportionate amount of glee.. Does it get any better or should I make it "disappear" out of the house when the boys aren't around??
I find Risk a little like the other "old school" board games, where a lead is rewarded and turns into dominance. It makes it boring for the opponent who is left trying to delay the inevitable. The modern Eurogames typically have mechanisms in them that keep all players involved and have an element of levelling, giving losing players a bit of a leg-up. Power Grid is a great example of this.

If you like the theme of Risk but prefer a more interesting game, Twilight Struggle is possible the best two-player game I've played. It's a cross between Risk and poker and is themed on the Cold War. It's historically accurate in the way the game plays out over the various phases of the Cold War and the mutual suspicion between players is a wonderful analogy of the same feeling between the US and USSR.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

We're new converts this weekend to Codenames and Linkee.
Both are relatively short but clever and fun.
piggys

Post by piggys »

I am the linkee queen. I cannot be beaten :) (throws down gauntlet)
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Codenames is a great game. Flexible on numbers, too.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Clearing put a cupboard the other day and I found Frustration - the one with the popping dice in the middle. Well you wouldn't believe just how competitive DH and two late teen ds's can be I didn't stand a chance.

No more mr nice guy for me now !
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

piggys wrote:I am the linkee queen. I cannot be beaten :) (throws down gauntlet)
We keep trying to be too complicated a la Only Connect!
salsa

Post by salsa »

Has anybody suggested Who Knows Where?
We enjoy the game in the family, but my youngest often wins putting me to shame!

Scrabble is my favourite.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Who-Knows-Wher ... B00GSSMI1M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Salsa