What to watch ?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Yamin151

Re: What to watch ?

Post by Yamin151 »

Surferfish wrote:Anyone going to be watching the last Dr Foster tonight?
Oh my goodness. Overblown, far-fetched and ridiculous it may eb, but last night's episdoe had me in tears. What it must have cost that poor young boy to be in those tears (that were surely real) - and to watch him struggling with the expressions all our teenage boys have at times - I found it very touching and upsetting, when I didn't expect to.

As an aside. Mad as a box of frogs, both of them!!
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Yes you've got to feel for poor Tom having those two for parents!

Agree that it was touching and upsetting and great acting especially from the boy who played the son. I have to admit though I was still slightly underwhelmed by the final episode after all the drama that had happened previously. Possibly the writers were setting it up for a 3rd series in which they search for their missing son?

If you like your overblown, far-fetched dramas you might also enjoy 'Liar' which is on at the moment on ITV. Have you been watching that also?
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Surferfish wrote:Yes you've got to feel for poor Tom having those two for parents!

Agree that it was touching and upsetting and great acting especially from the boy who played the son. I have to admit though I was still slightly underwhelmed by the final episode after all the drama that had happened previously. Possibly the writers were setting it up for a 3rd series in which they search for their missing son?

If you like your overblown, far-fetched dramas you might also enjoy 'Liar' which is on at the moment on ITV. Have you been watching that also?
I haven't - I'll have a look! Do like a bit of escapism. I'm not anti-clever, anti-educational, but sometimes feel this site could do with a few more of us admitting to looking forward to I'm a Celeb coming back!!! (or is that just me????? I do have a degree and an academic career, honest!!)
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Not sure I'd really describe 'Liar' as escapism. Without giving too much away the story involves a "he said/she said" date rape allegation so its a serious subject, but kind of similar in gripping dramatic style to Dr Foster, so if you liked that check it out. Hopefully start of series still on ITV download.

Yes nothing wrong with a bit of trash TV every now and then IMO, especially when mixed with a diet of more intellectual stuff. Not sure I'll bother tuning in to the jungle again this year though. If it was just once a week I might do, but when it its on every night it kind of gets a bit tiresome for me.

For pure, unadulterated, escapism I've been watching the Outlander series on More4/All 4, based on the novel by Diana Gabaldon. Its about a WW2 nurse who travels back in time from the 1940's to the 18th century Scottish Highlands with lots of clashing swords and romping in the heather!! All a bit daft maybe, but a bit of a guilty pleasure! :D
Amber

Post by Amber »

I don't watch telly very often but loved 'This Farming Life' on BBC2. I am a bit in love with the buffalo farmer from Fife, and craving the isolation of Mull. I am sad it has finished. I can't watch TV dramas at all so this was brilliant for me.
Amber

Post by Amber »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-41513246" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not to watch but yippee! My favourite fiction author!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now