What to watch ?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Stroller

Re: What to watch ?

Post by Stroller »

Missed that - watched Fight Club last night :oops: - but can recommend "The lady in the van" while it's still on iPlayer. It's a great story.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Liked the lady in the van because it is based on a true story, although I don't particularly gel with Alan Bennet. But the main reason I liked it was because Maggie Smith is just superb....
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

'Lady on the van' is already on TV after having been released in cinemas a bit more than a year ago? That is quick! :D Thank for the tip, Stroller!
kenyancowgirl wrote:Liked the lady in the van because it is based on a true story, although I don't particularly gel with Alan Bennet. But the main reason I liked it was because Maggie Smith is just superb....
Oh, yes, Maggie Smith is such a wonderful actress! :D
There has also been 'An intimate portrait of Judi Dench' recently on TV. It is still on iPlayer... But this is not a film, just some of the biggest names in entertainment talking about her.

I also find Alan Benett sometimes a bit peculiar, but he does write beautifully, and I am sure there is food for thought in his books, whether we agree with it or not. And hats off to him for having had a homeless woman living in a van in his driveway for 15 years!... though says he was not doing this by philanthropy…
copella

Post by copella »

Guest55 wrote:Did anyone catch 'Peter Pan goes wrong' on BBC1 late last night?

If anyone enjoys some silliness, it was fun!

We watched it last night. It's so funny we watched their earlier production, The Play That Goes Wrong last year and it was brilliant.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Guest55 wrote:Did anyone catch 'Peter Pan goes wrong' on BBC1 late last night?

If anyone enjoys some silliness, it was fun!
Thank you, G55. I missed this the first time round, but for the last hour I have just cried with more laughter than I can remember, watching it on iPlayer.

The whole family came running to ask what on earth was making me shriek out loud at least once a minute, and often more. :oops:

Comedic bliss. :D
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

+1....I am currently weeping and cackling to the bemusement of the family!! Brilliant!!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Three of us are currently watching 'What We Did on Our Holiday'. The children and I saw it in the cinema when it came out, but this is the first time that DH has seen it (and is loving it, btw).

DS1 has gone up to bed, as he has seen the film several times, it seems - turns out that he has been recommending it to all and sundry at university :lol: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

ToadMum wrote:Three of us are currently watching 'What We Did on Our Holiday'.
Wonderfully funny and poignant film. One of my favourites. Do watch if you have never seen it.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

We all watched it a while ago...one of those films that we had no expectations of but all loved and laughed and cried in equal measure.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:We all watched it a while ago...one of those films that we had no expectations of but all loved and laughed and cried in equal measure.
The fact that I enjoyed it at all was a bit unexpected, given that I am not a big fan of Billy Connolly or of Outnumbered :lol: . I seem to remember that we had decided to go to the cinema one afternoon and this won the vote (against what competition, I have absolutely no recollection).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now