Disney world in term time- no fine

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Surferfish

Re: Disney world in term time- no fine

Post by Surferfish »

Amber wrote:
RedPanda wrote:with extra American cheese.:D
What exactly is that? Having had it dolloped on everything last time I was there, and even offered it with salmon teriyaki in a Japanese restaurant in NY, I have to say it doesn't bear any resemblance to anything of dairy origin, at least not which has not already been eaten.
Don't worry folks. Once Brexit is finally done and dusted and we get a special trade deal with the US we'll all be able to enjoy delicious American processed cheese on a daily basis instead of all that foreign rubbish from France and the rest of Europe that the EU forces British supermarkets to sell at the moment. :wink:
Amber

Post by Amber »

Surferfish wrote: Don't worry folks. Once Brexit is finally done and dusted and we get a special trade deal with the US we'll all be able to enjoy delicious American processed cheese on a daily basis instead of all that foreign rubbish from France and the rest of Europe that the EU forces British supermarkets to sell at the moment. :wink:
Marvellous news. I am looking forward to all the corn fed beef, chlorinated chicken, hormone/antibiotic dosed meat etc which we will suddenly be able to buy. The delicious cheese is an added bonus. That, and ready access to lots of Disney-themed holidays. Or should that be vacations?

On the other hand, veganism and/or emigration are starting to look like really attractive options.
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

I'm personally looking forward to aerosol cheese (AKA cheese in a can) which will stay fresh for years and give my cheese and biscuits course some much needed betterment.
mystery

Post by mystery »

:lol: I once holidayed in the mid-west and after a week of what felt like cooked breakfast morning, noon and night I found a Chinese restaurant in some small shack of a town I was passing through. The meal was rather bland but at least there were some vegetables and no stacks of pancakes. I read an advert for the restaurant afterwards in the local free newspaper. It boasted "no orientals in the kitchen." I was pretty shocked and felt terrible I'd had a meal there. So, next time, as an ethical alternative, I will try the aerosol cheese instead. Hopefully the factory workforce is more diverse.
piggys

Post by piggys »

For any doubters, may I recommend Eric Shlosser's book 'Fast Food Nation'. You will never eat in the same way again, believe me.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I was shocked by the attitude to Chinese restaurants in both Boston and NY, only 3 years ago. We were actively scared off by people we met, who warned us of every possible consequence of venturing to Chinatown - shootings, stabbings, kidnap of the children, not to mention guaranteed food poisoning, cat and dog stir fries, cloning of our credit cards and, in fact, not being allowed to pay on card at all as the places were all dodging tax and insisting on cash payment under the counter. We did get as far as the aforementioned Japanese establishment, where a waiter dropped food all over a fellow diner's coat and was fired on the spot. We chatted to a lot of waiting staff while there and were really shocked and appalled at their terrible working conditions and reliance on tips to keep them over the breadline.

Apart from the hideous food, which left me desperate to get home for something tasty without a million calories a mouthful, I was really uncomfortable with the attitudes towards both ethnic minorities and waiting staff in restaurants. I sincerely hope that Brexit will not lead to anything like this here, once we lose all our lovely European restaurant staff and the civilising influence of European employment laws. But I fear that it will.
piggys

Post by piggys »

A huge proportion of workers in the US restaurant and food industry are illegals which is why they can be fired on the spot - they have no rights at all. When I read Fast Food Nation I actually wept at the horrifying extent of the corruption and brutality of the industry. The huge ( and I do mean huuuuuge) meat processing plants are peopled by illegals, mainly Mexicans, who are regularly maimed and even killed in the line of their work, getting their arms ripped off, falling into vats of corrosive chemicals, inhaling noxious substances and developing chronic lung or respiratory conditions. These people have no recourse to legal action, medical protection - anything. It is an absolute disgrace. The people who run these plants are slave owners and people traffickers IMO.
piggys

Post by piggys »

Amber wrote: I sincerely hope that Brexit will not lead to anything like this here, once we lose all our lovely European restaurant staff and the civilising influence of European employment laws. But I fear that it will.
Yes it almost certainly will.
Amber

Post by Amber »

:shock: :cry:

Looks like I should read that, though I have no intention of returning to the place foreseeably anyway - who would want to spend time there now unless they had to? Bit like here really.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Sounds as though that's a book I should read after our 3 week roadtrip across the States this summer :shock: