Disney world in term time- no fine

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Stroller

Re: Disney world in term time- no fine

Post by Stroller »

Good post, Yamin.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Guest55 wrote:There is NEVER any justification for a trip to Disney in term time.
Never?

I'm sure most of us would agree it would be irresponsible to take a teenager out of school to go on holiday in the middle of an important GCSE year, but is it really that disruptive to the education of a 7 year old? Particularly if its towards the end of the summer term when they seem to spend most of their time at school watching DVDs and doing non-academic stuff anyway.

Regarding Disney World, I'm wondering whether those people who think it has no educational value have ever actually been there themselves? We visited it a few years ago and I was quite surprised at how educational some of it was, particularly the Epcot park. See this link.

https://magicalmousecapades.wordpress.c ... rse-it-is/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Surferfish wrote:I'm sure most of us would agree it would be irresponsible to take a teenager out of school to go on holiday in the middle of an important GCSE year, but is it really that disruptive to the education of a 7 year old? Particularly if its towards the end of the summer term when they seem to spend most of their time at school watching DVDs and doing non-academic stuff anyway.
If they are just watching DVDs then go and complain, What do you mean by 'non-academic'? It's very difficult to plan something where children learn nothing.

Yes, I am aware of th link but how many families we are talking about here focus in that? I've taken maths trips to a theme park and we've studied the mechanics of the rides ...
Amber

Post by Amber »

Guest55 wrote:Yes, I am aware of th link but how many families we are talking about here focus in that? I've taken maths trips to a theme park and we've studied the mechanics of the rides ...
I imagine a trip to Disney would offer great opportunities for study of psychology, anthropology, sociology, economics...

(And yes I have been, when I was 16. Still traumatised. Not every teenage girl enjoys being groped by a man in a Mickey Mouse head brandishing a magic wand :shock: ).
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Guest55 wrote:If they are just watching DVDs then go and complain, What do you mean by 'non-academic'?
By 'non-academic' I meant that in my experience, primary school teaching tends to wind down towards the end of term (particularly the summer one) and teachers don't tend to cover important maths and english topics then, partly because the children would be liable to forget them over the long school holiday anyway. That's not to say that they don't do anything of value at all, but missing a week then wouldn't really do any harm to their on-going education IMO.
It's very difficult to plan something where children learn nothing.
Yes, and I would also include a family holiday in that. When you're seven you learn something from every new experience. Doesn't have to just involve visiting museums and art galleries either. Flying in a plane and visiting a different country are both valuable wider experiences at that age.
Yes, I am aware of th link but how many families we are talking about here focus in that? I've taken maths trips to a theme park and we've studied the mechanics of the rides ...
Great! Rollercoasters are an excellent example of Newtonian mechanics in action aren't they and so much more memorable when experienced in the pit of your stomach! Potential energy converted to kinetic energy. Acceleration due to gravity. Centrifugal force when you loop-the-loop! :D
Amber wrote:(And yes I have been, when I was 16. Still traumatised. Not every teenage girl enjoys being groped by a man in a Mickey Mouse head brandishing a magic wand :shock: ).
:shock: Yikes, no wonder you're not Mickey's biggest fan! :(
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Surferfish wrote: Centrifugal force when you loop-the-loop! :D
There's no such thing as centrifugal force ...
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Guest55 wrote:
Surferfish wrote: Centrifugal force when you loop-the-loop! :D
There's no such thing as centrifugal force ...
Centripetal then. Perhaps if my parents had taken me to Disneyland when I was a kid I'd have known that! :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Surferfish wrote:Centripetal then. Perhaps if my parents had taken me to Disneyland when I was a kid I'd have known that! :D
You've never ridden a bike or been in a vehicle? No need to go further than that to experience Newton's laws in action.
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Guest55 wrote:
Surferfish wrote:Centripetal then. Perhaps if my parents had taken me to Disneyland when I was a kid I'd have known that! :D
You've never ridden a bike or been in a vehicle? No need to go further than that to experience Newton's laws in action.
True, just feels a bit more relevant when you're upside down and worrying about what's stopping the coaster from falling off the track! :D
piggys

Post by piggys »

The decision has been reversed. Good.

Pride comes before a fall. In this case it's not so much pride as total arrogance combined with hubris and not many brains.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now