Disney world in term time- no fine

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

Re: Disney world in term time- no fine

Post by mystery »

I agree. At my children's secondary there is 30 mins of form time per day which is when PHSE and I don't know what else is done --- checking their skirt length before they roll it back up again is one of the regular activities.

But it isn't used for anything much really so far as I can tell.

Just how much e-safety do they get over the years? If the same number of hours was given to any other subject they'd have a degree by now. Real life safety and other practicalities has gone out of the window in our personal experience. Might be fantastic in other places though.

I guess some schools see their role as the academic side only but I would really appreciate school doing it as one of mine somehow seems to skate over all practicalities at home and I have to pick my battles.
Amber

Post by Amber »

My bugbear: the dominance of the natural sciences at the expense of social science. It is still seen as fluffy and left-wing, but why don't we think that the study of human activity is important? In particular I would like to see political science (not politics) as a compulsory subject as it is in almost every other country; but why do we regard scientists (as in, those who study the natural sciences) as clever and learned and those who do other stuff as also-rans? The world is in a fine old mess and it is not Physics or Chemistry which has got us there; nor will they get us out of it again.
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

Amber wrote:My bugbear: the dominance of the natural sciences at the expense of social science. It is still seen as fluffy and left-wing, but why don't we think that the study of human activity is important? In particular I would like to see political science (not politics) as a compulsory subject as it is in almost every other country; but why do we regard scientists (as in, those who study the natural sciences) as clever and learned and those who do other stuff as also-rans? The world is in a fine old mess and it is not Physics or Chemistry which has got us there; nor will they get us out of it again.
So long as it isn't compulsory :) DD1&2 have to take all the sciences (no option to drop) all the way to GCSE. At least the E-Bac stats are good though. Got to be mindful of the league table!!!
Amber wrote:If I had small children now I would not send them to school. The Early Years and infant experience in this country now is even worse than it was then and I would rather take a financial hit and keep them away from it than put them through the depressing experience of being apprenticed to adulthood from the moment they enter a nursery.
I remember reading around the subject of schools and how damaging they were back in my masters days (or maybe PGCE). I wish I could remember one of the authors (I'd read it again) but the book (I think it was a book not a paper) had a profound effect on my previous conditioned and normalised view. So much so that I now encourage DD1 to break the rules, so to speak. Alas, she never does. DD2 doesn't need any encouragement.

All the structure and rules turned kids into robots. I'm sure I've oversimplified his work but that was the general idea :)

As for the Disneyland parents. I'd probably have some sympathy if their motive wasn't about saving a few quid. Apart from learning to queue, I'm not sure what life skills you can get from Disneyland.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

RedPanda wrote:Apart from learning to queue, I'm not sure what life skills you can get from Disneyland.
You learn that it's a small world after all.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

anotherdad wrote:
RedPanda wrote:Apart from learning to queue, I'm not sure what life skills you can get from Disneyland.
You learn that it's a small world after all.
In that case, when I see you out there (presumably in term time), I'll buy you a Bud Light and burger/hot dog combo with extra American cheese.
:D
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

RedPanda wrote: I remember reading around the subject of schools and how damaging they were back in my masters days (or maybe PGCE). I wish I could remember one of the authors (I'd read it again) but the book (I think it was a book not a paper) had a profound effect on my previous conditioned and normalised view. So much so that I now encourage DD1 to break the rules, so to speak. Alas, she never does. DD2 doesn't need any encouragement.

All the structure and rules turned kids into robots. I'm sure I've oversimplified his work but that was the general idea :)
Are you thinking of John Holt’s books e.g. “How children learn” / “How children fail” ?
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
Amber

Post by Amber »

RedPanda wrote:with extra American cheese.:D
What exactly is that? Having had it dolloped on everything last time I was there, and even offered it with salmon teriyaki in a Japanese restaurant in NY, I have to say it doesn't bear any resemblance to anything of dairy origin, at least not which has not already been eaten.
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

Stroller wrote:Are you thinking of John Holt’s books e.g. “How children learn” / “How children fail” ?
Thanks Stroller. It wasn't but when I googled to check I saw that 'People also searched for: Ivan Illich' and that rang a bell.

Must have been: 'Deschooling Society'. Perhaps I'm more of a 'lefty' than I imagined :)
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

Amber wrote:
RedPanda wrote:with extra American cheese.:D
What exactly is that? Having had it dolloped on everything last time I was there, and even offered it with salmon teriyaki in a Japanese restaurant in NY, I have to say it doesn't bear any resemblance to anything of dairy origin, at least not which has not already been eaten.
The gloopy stuff is an acquired taste alright. I think we have the solid version over here in the supermarkets if you are missing it though :)

Those slices of rubber looking cheese that don't have the word 'cheese' on the packaging, presumably because it isn't really cheese and they would be prosecuted by trading standards.