Prizes

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Prizes

Post by Guest »

My child's grammar school has started a sticker scheme that leads to prizes. A student that has collected 100 stickers receives a prize such as a Nintendo Wii or Playstation.

I am really not happy with this. Please can you let me know your views.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

what do they have to do to get a sticker, what's the idea behind it?
Does it apply to all children or just those they are tryting to target?

My daughter couldn't believe the connexions scheme, she kept gettin g little prizes (like a tiny FM radio--useful!!)for turning up at school, which as a diligent upper sixth former with her sights on a russel group uni she was going to do anyway!

Post by Guest »

A sticker is awarded for good work or behaviour. The scheme is for everyone at the school ( I don't know if older year groups also qualify).

We have chosen not have electronic games at home and have had to work hard to achieve this. There have been a number of objections from our children (as you would expect) but they have come to accept that this is the way it is at home. In any case, I don't feel comfortable with any form of bribery.
solimum not logged in

prizes

Post by solimum not logged in »

Presumably you could insist that if your child were to win they could receive an equivalent value in book tokens instead....

However there is a danger as your children get older that they will find the houses of their more electronically "fortunate" friends more attractive, will want to spend more time away from home and will resent your control. I'm not a huge fan myself, but limited use (especially I gather of the Wii which involves leaping around waving the remote control) can be an enjoyable social activity, far removed from the stereotype loner in his room playing war games. Better for it (eventually) to happen in your home than somewhere you have no idea which games are being played.

My daughter would jump at the chance - stickers for piano practice perhaps???
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

If this was my son / daughter's school I would want to know more about this intriguing idea.

The concept of sticker rewards followed up by prizes for a certain number of stickers seems OK - although I am not sure if 11 - 18 year olds are motivated by stickers - it would surely only be the final prize they would be interested in.

It is the high value and nature of the prizes that surprises me. The high value of such a prize means that presumably the school has set the number of stickers at a high level so that few pupils will be awarded the final prize. So it may not motivate anyone as they realise the prize is out of reach, and who wants stickers at that age?

The nature of the prize is a little odd; something like tokens (not necessarily for books) is better as the child can then, with parental advice, buy something they do not already have. What if they already have a WII or Playstation?

The other thing about the prizes you have named is that they require ongoing expenditure by the winner - new games software , remotes etc. So is this really a marketing gimmick rather than a genuine school prize? Also, it is very difficult to buy WIIs at the moment - where is the school getting them from?!!

Have they started this new scheme yet and has it had a positive impact on effort and standards of work? If not, I would have thought the school was better spending limited budget on a different reward scheme, or things that the school really needs.

Post by Guest »

The scheme is through www.mystickers.co.uk

I am not sure how it is all funded.

Post by Guest »

The school has recently started the scheme so I don't know how it is progressing. Parents were not informed, I actually only know of it through my child. I will probably find that my child loses interest in them in a couple of weeks, especially when hard work is needed to get them!
solimum again

prizes

Post by solimum again »

Having had a quick look at the site I doubt if your children are in any danger of winning anything remotely as "desirable" as a Wii - the blurb says "Make sure your (sic) collecting loads of rewards and merits to be in with a chance of winning this stunning prize" - so it would seem that you have to collect a certain (large) number of stickers to be entered into a draw, in which there may be only one Wii to be won either in the school or (more cynically) among all the schools they have marketed this to. Presumably there are smaller prizes available automatically otherwise I can't see why any sensible child would bother. I must confess I don't really like the idea much myself having looked at it - could be a clever way for the company to collect marketing information from a lot of teenagers!
Seasoned cynic

Re: prizes

Post by Seasoned cynic »

solimum again wrote:Having had a quick look at the site I doubt if your children are in any danger of winning anything remotely as "desirable" as a Wii - the blurb says "Make sure your (sic) collecting loads of rewards and merits to be in with a chance of winning this stunning prize" - so it would seem that you have to collect a certain (large) number of stickers to be entered into a draw, in which there may be only one Wii to be won either in the school or (more cynically) among all the schools they have marketed this to. Presumably there are smaller prizes available automatically otherwise I can't see why any sensible child would bother. I must confess I don't really like the idea much myself having looked at it - could be a clever way for the company to collect marketing information from a lot of teenagers!
If this is anything to do with Connexions, that is exactly what they are doing. They are run by Capita (think ID cards and government computer disasters) and are busy building up a database of information on children whose schools are taken in by their propaganda. Even some grammar schools get sucked in.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

aha! I see now. Originally thought that it was a scheme devised by the school to improve behaviour or attendance.

I don't like these big corporate things. The connexions reward scheme was a waste of money, as my daughter said if you were not going to attend lessons would teh thought of a rubbishy radio make you change your mind.

what do your children thinkof it?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now