Home educating for the last term of Y6 - any tips?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
PettswoodFiona

Home educating for the last term of Y6 - any tips?

Post by PettswoodFiona »

OK, so we have the eleven plus results and submitted the CAF and barring all six schools closing and their criteria massively changing we are pretty certain on a good school. We have therefore decided that DD will not be staying on at her independent school and the struggle to find school fees will be past. We also gather from friends that not much happens educationally in the last term of Y6. Yes there are the social angles and DD will still be able to attend the final ball which is held off site should she want to (but currently she is adamant she doesn't want to go as most are staying on and she isn't).

We also have a major list of things we want to do, I have an option of spending several weeks in a foreign office of my work and take DD and DH (a SAHD) with me and lots of things that mean that it makes sense for us to home educate for the last term of Y6. When We have some amazing projects lined up including visiting the Northern Lights in Reyjavick, Hadrian's Wall and studying Romans and defensive strategy. We are on the doorstep of London so lots of museum options etc. DH will teach maths and I will set English projects. Themed visits will cover science, history, language, culture, religion, music, theatre and geography. We will notify the local authority giving our outline plan of learning.

Has anyone done this before and has any tips? I remember a thread from a while ago on this forum which actually sowed the seed of us doing it but can't find it now and I don't remember there being tips, more exploring the concept.

All suggestions and ideas would be welcome. Thank you!
Daogroupie

Re: Home educating for the last term of Y6 - any tips?

Post by Daogroupie »

There was a big thread on this last year. Search for the posts of lostintheshuffle. I would have loved to do it but there is no way my dds would have wanted to miss out on everything that happens in the last term of primary school when everyone is going their separate ways. DG
LostInTheShuffle

Post by LostInTheShuffle »

PettswoodFiona: I was the one who started the above thread. Feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss further.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Thanks all - Lostintheshuffle I will be in touch!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now