Pen

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ahap

Re: Pen

Post by ahap »

Thank you everyone.

His handwriting does get better when he writes slowly.

We have bought many pens for him, but he does not like any of them but he did prefer the last fountain pen which was a Parker at a reasonable price but the nib got damaged after a year.
We then bought some 20 odd pens from amazon of the same type which he chose, but it seems it doesn't help the situation. Now DD and I are using them.

DS did mention Lamy. I have never tried before buying so this is new to me. So I think we will go to staples tomorrow, try out fountain pens as well as try the stabilo pens. Will he be allowed to try before buying at staples?

Hopefully this will sort him out. I know he can do it if only he takes the time to see what he's written but somehow he is able to read his handwriting.

If these fail then may be laptop could be the solution. But hopefully he will try his best to overcome this problem.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Both mine use Parker fountain pens. It has made a huge difference to my son's handwriting and he is really proud of his books now.

I bought the pens from Wilkinsons online at £4.50 a pen (in WHSmiths the same pens are £12.99). They get delivered to your local store, so free delivery. At that price it is not a problem if they get lost/broken. The packs of 10 refills are cheaper than anywhere else too.

http://www.wilko.com/pens-and-pencils/p ... vt/0250814" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

I am going to go against the grain here and say that the fountain pen depends on if your DC holds the pen properly. I had to use a fountain pen in middle school but because I hold my pen near the nib I just ended up with very blocky writing and black fingers!

I also disagree with the idea that cursive writing is the tidier way. I have two styles of writing; one is cursive which probably only I can read, which I use for note taking, and I have a more rounded semi-cursive style that I use if I want other people to read it.

I know all the teachers on here will be howling, but I think too much emphasis is put on a particular style rather than letting DCs develop their own ways and what works best for them. As an example my DC's handwriting improved tenfold the moment he was allowed to use a biro and didn't have to use a pencil.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Not a fan if biro here, it tends to "slip away" and is too "quick" making their writing untidy.

You can get Lamy pens on line relatively cheaply and they have indents which make you hold them in the correct way.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll find a pen that works for you.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

I run a handwriting club at the school I work at and for younger children using pencils we assess them and give them very specific grips and these all vary depending upon how the grip needs correcting. Those old enough to use pens start with the stabilo roller pens due to the way they are easy to hold properly due to the grip and the right/left holds. The majority of older children use Lamy pens, which encourages the correct grip, is comfortable to hold and slows their writing down, only those who have a habit of smudging continue to use the stabilo pens. The other thing we teach them is how to sit properly and the correct way to place their work, which depends upon if they are left or right handed.

My own DS, who had awful writing, uses a Lamy and his writing improved once we switched him. My DD loved the feel of the Lamy but wasn't keen on the fountain pen variety as she would smudge, but as they also had a roller ball we switched her and she is very happy. Lamy pens are not cheap, neither are the cartridges, but you can get them at a reasonable price online for the pens and in bulk for the cartidges. Put it this way DS was very upset that he broke one last week and was desperate to replace it. Sometimes you just have to try different pens but look for the finger grips to help.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

"legible handwriting is inversely proportionate to intelligence"

so says my OH -well he would say that wouldn't he, judging by his spider writing.

Joking aside, I wonder if children who think faster than they can write have worse handwriting, no doubt theres a grant in it for an aspirating research student ?
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Also consider physical issues like dyspraxia and hypermobility - they can be subtle. My ds ticked many boxes for dyspraxia and an OT assessment noted his hypermobile fingers. He is happy and coping at school because he has access to a laptop when he needs it and it takes a bit of pressure off him as writing with a pen is harder and more tiring.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

...and the correct way to place their work, which depends upon if they are left or right handed.
I think whatever works for the child is the most important thing; all of these rules just remind me of my Dad telling me how he was smacked with a ruler for writing with his left hand. I know I don't write in the "correct" way as I write upwards; my left-handed sibling writes downwards. However, our handwriting is perfectly acceptable and very tidy.
salsa

Post by salsa »

DC17C wrote:Also consider physical issues like dyspraxia and hypermobility - they can be subtle. My ds ticked many boxes for dyspraxia and an OT assessment noted his hypermobile fingers. He is happy and coping at school because he has access to a laptop when he needs it and it takes a bit of pressure off him as writing with a pen is harder and more tiring.
Absolutely, joint hypermobility runs in families and is more common in certain populations. From memory, our paediatrician rheumatologist said that Brazilians and Chinese people had high percentages. 40%. Both my children have joint hypermobility or commonly known as double jointed. There are many advantages to this as they are very flexible, but if your fingers are also very flexible, it's painful to hold the pen properly. So, the occupational therapist recommended grips, etc and stressed the importance of holding the pencil properly whereas the rheumatologist said, absolutely no! He showed me pictures of many famous athletes and how they held their pens. He also recommended these therapy balls to strengthen their fingers first. My brother was reprimanded at school and was told to grip the pencil right or get punished, etc. He tells me of the cramps. He now has beautiful handwriting and is a painter. So, my approach is to be understanding and try to find whatever works. Strengthening fingers and soft pencils, such as 8B, 6B, etc. I agree that you mustn't let a label defeat you as 40% of Brazilians, Chinese, etc would not be able to write. (I don't remember the other nationalities mentioned and there hasn't been research in the UK, that I'm aware of, to find out the proportion here)
Amber

Post by Amber »

Move to Finland?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/j ... ls-finland" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now