Facebook

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest55

Re: Facebook

Post by Guest55 »

Yamin151 - you cannot know you are not being stalked on FB or that people have access to your account that you don't want. Just because you aren't aware doesn't mean it is not happening.

FB is an open book to your life ... that's why none of our staff are allowed to have a FB account. Once we were told about the dangers we readily agreed.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

All kinds of rumours go around on Facebook. That is one as my oldest and dearest friend is on it simply to see my posts and does not use her real name or anything like it.

I have never seen provocative poses etc - I am sure they are out there, but I don't see them.

I think a lot of the fear of it comes from not being interested in it and like anything else in life, we tend to demonise what we don't know. I totally respect anyone's wishes not to be on it.. Its not for everyone. I don't think anyone should feel they 'ought' to be on it - although one could argue that if you are going to be part of modern culture in the whoole era of not being naive about what your children do, then its not a bad idea to be up to date with it! I also don't take pics of my food, lol!
However, that said, fine, whatever floats your boat, don't be on it. I similarly struggle with over sharers, those that are only on it to show off about their kids, make business contacts or moan. I also object though, to those who rubbish it and make those of us who really enjoy it out to be superficial, or silly, or dim, or witless, or intellectually inferior. There is quite a snobbishness in rejection of social media.
Its a bit like me not understanding why anyone loves fishing, or goes birdwatching. Or train spotting. Its simply not for me, but great for those who enjoy it, it takes all sorts. That social media can bring huge downsides is true, but in its ubiquitousness it does also bring huge benefits, and I'd wager they outweigh the downsides, on the whole.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Guest55 wrote:Yamin151 - you cannot know you are not being stalked on FB or that people have access to your account that you don't want. Just because you aren't aware doesn't mean it is not happening.

FB is an open book to your life ... that's why none of our staff are allowed to have a FB account. Once we were told about the dangers we readily agreed.
Oh for goodness sake G55, I'm well into my 40s, stop talking like you were my mum!!!

I am well aware all those things can happen thank you very much, but I am comfortable with my presence on it, and for me the safety in numbers. If I get my fingers burnt I get my fingers burnt, but for 10 years I have been quite happy and if someone has enjoyed stalking my ordinaryu life or got off on a picture of a bunch of silky puppies (not a euphemism!) then OK, so be it. Facebook is NOT the only way people can find out about and stalk you.

I am not stupid G55, please don't treat me as such.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Did I say it was the only way of getting stalked?

Read moved post again - she is not the only one. It is far more common than FB would like to admit.

There is no need for rudeness when people are trying to inform you of risk.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Let's be honest, any internet presence is hackable. Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Playstation, online banking...this forum...they all require you to sign up with some form of personal information and, from it, anyone could work out who you were, with a little nouse.

I know a lot of adults who are teacher's, who do use Facebook - their employers may advise they use it with caution but certainly haven't told them not to use it - most of the ones I know have tight privacy settings, or have used their second names to hide from the casual observer. I believe the rules have changed so employers can look at personal social media sites but have always had the mantra, if I don't want a particular person reading something, I don't post at all.

All social media has its' upsides and downsides - for me, coming from abroad, and a boarding school where people live all over the world, and with family all over the world, F/B has proved a useful tool for keeping in touch. The now defunct Friends Reunited, started off these contacts and it has continued on newer media - most kids use it less and less nowadays preferring more instant fixes. Whilst, as adults, we may not like it or embrace it in the same way, social media is here to stay and understanding the attraction, and the pitfalls, is one way to cope.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Message crossed with KCG , I agree with her.

There is a difference between rudeness and frustration.

There is risk in all kinds of arenas of life. Letting your children out on the street, driving your car, going on a holiday, having a bank account, sending your child to school, lots of things, both necessary for life and NOT necessary for life. We cannot eliminate risk. I am comfortable with the risk level, as of today. Maybe one day I might change my mind, but in the meantime I am OK. I am not trying to persuade anyone else to sign up and most importantly I am not coming back on over and over again to tell someone in thier 40s that they are doing something foolish. I am happy with it, lets agree to disagree.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Everyone knows there are risks in life but knowledge will minimise risks. Risks acceptable in the past are no longer considered acceptable.

I loved riding in the front seat of a car when I was growing up [pre selt belts of course]. Little did my parents know that that was risky - people know better now.

When I first started teaching smoking was allowed in a staff room; non-smokers had to sit somewhere else if they did not like the smoke. We don't do that now - the risks are understood

All I'm saying is be aware that your profile can be easily hacked and settings changed.

There are other safer ways of keeping in touch.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

And I KNOW this Guest55. All I am saying is that in spite of this knowledge I am still willing to take the risk and SO FAR that has done me fine. It seems remarkably arrogant to think everyone is ignorant of the risks but you!
Last edited by Yamin151 on Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Clearly you have not read others post on this thread ... or in the press ... or elsewhere.

I'm stopping there as you seem determined to misinterpret and insult.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

And I KNOW this Guest55. All I am saying is that in spite of this knowledge I am still willing to take the risk and SO FAR that has done me fine. It seems remarkably arrogant to think everyone is ignorant of the risks but you!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now