Facebook

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
marigold

Re: Facebook

Post by marigold »

Today I finally got round to deleting my facebook profile/membership whatever it is called . I only joined to keep an eye on what my children were up to, my son refused to have me as a friend so that didn't work, my eldest only seems to post things about supporting junior doctors and the one far away at university does not use it, I occasionally see her pictures tagged by others but that is all. I have friends and relatives abroad and I prefer to keep in contact with them via email.

I did look at it regularly and having spent a sleepless night wondering why I had not been invited to a meal out that a group of close friends had last week decided I should act like a 53 year old rather than a 14 year old and move on. The number of "friends" who have been posting pictures this week of themselves whizzing down snow covered slopes or downing a large glass in an apres ski hot tub has also bought out rather an unpleasnt side of me so it has become time to say goodbye.

I also find the number of times things pop up on my page which relate to things I have been googling rather alarming and have decided to come over all a bit flat earthy and will probably revert to pen and paper only at some point soon.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Sounds like a good decision for you Marigold. I am similar about Twitter. Because I haven't got involved then it doesn't interest me and I just don't 'get' it. I know how it works and my dh is a big fan of it for medical info sharing (professional, not Dr Google). Because I am happily involved in facebook I don't feel that way, but would certainly drop the account if I did. As it is, I do make sure that whenever we go on holiday or away I delete the app from my phone so I don't spoil family holiday time checking it. My dh leaves his phone at home to avoid all social media!

Horses for courses.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Well if nothing else this thread has made me think about my account, check the settings and do a bit of housekeeping. So thank you.
doodles

Post by doodles »

On a positive note:

In a reminiscent mood I typed a couple of old uni friends into Facebook search and up one popped. I have just spent a very pleasant and lazy afternoon having a message conversation with them - so nice to be in touch and all thanks to Facebook - and yes, we probably will get around to calling but contact has been made and friendship renewed :lol: :lol:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

doodles wrote:On a positive note:

In a reminiscent mood I typed a couple of old uni friends into Facebook search and up one popped. I have just spent a very pleasant and lazy afternoon having a message conversation with them - so nice to be in touch and all thanks to Facebook - and yes, we probably will get around to calling but contact has been made and friendship renewed :lol: :lol:
I resisted Facebook for ages but was eventually nagged into it by a couple of my friends who emigrated to New Zealand. I think it's great to be able to 'correspond' instantly with people the other side of the world (evenings and early mornings being the best times for this :) ). An ex-colleague is now a Senior Lecturer in Australia - we haven't actually seen each other for years, but 'chatting' via FB is just like the good old days of wandering across the corridor to each other's offices.

It took me several years to pluck up enough courage to give myself a profile picture, though :lol:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Amber

Post by Amber »

ToadMum wrote:It took me several years to pluck up enough courage to give myself a profile picture, though :lol:
I didn't put anything recognisable on it for ages. And then when I did an old male friend from my very dim past sent me a message through it saying 'you're still as hot as ever'. Actually he used a slightly different word. :oops: That gave me a boost for several months to come - in fact I still rather like it now, can you tell? Well when you get to my age you need all the compliments you can get. :?
doodles

Post by doodles »

Oh dear, I've got a picture of my new kitchen mixer :lol: :lol:
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

doodles wrote:Oh dear, I've got a picture of my new kitchen mixer :lol: :lol:
Oh is that you doodles?? Love the pink Magimix but not so sure about your "50 shades" wall calendar!!!!

:lol: :wink:
doodles

Post by doodles »

Mine's very sleek and black and my calendar is Peter Andre I'll have you know (don't ask)!!!!! :oops:
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

doodles wrote:Mine's very sleek and black and my calendar is Peter Andre I'll have you know (don't ask)!!!!! :oops:
Clamps hand over mouth!!!!!

:lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now